Author Topic: BAHA AND HEAD COLD  (Read 2488 times)

jazzfunkanne

BAHA AND HEAD COLD
« on: September 12, 2008, 10:36:52 am »
Hi all, i had the trial for the baha a few weeks ago i am still making up my mind on what to do, this week i have had a really bad head cold, my good ear is blocked up, would this affect the baha sound if i got one, what i mean if the good ear is blocked would it make a difference on the deaf side with the baha many thanks anne
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

lori67

Re: BAHA AND HEAD COLD
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:47:55 am »
Well, lucky for you - I just got over a bad head cold!  Wasn't very lucky for me!   :-\

Since the BAHA transmits the sound waves through the bone and into your functioning cochlea, it shouldn't be affected by the cold.  I didn't notice any difference and actually I felt like I could hear the sounds from my BAHA side a little better than from my normally hearing side.  Not a whole lot, but a little bit.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:00:16 am »
Thanks lori, hope your colds better

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 02:17:14 pm »
it will actually help your hearing !!

without the BAHA if you block your good ear.. basicly you hear nothing now... with the BAHA on ... you will hear everything though the BAHA.  Mainly because of a head cold your ear drum is not vibrating well .. the BAHA does not need a working ear drum at all ... because it sends vibrations right though the bone to the  cochlea
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 03:18:41 pm »
Thanks for that joe

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 03:50:44 pm »
After I initially told you I had no idea what the results of a head cold and a BAHA would be, I realized that I do know.  :-[

Not because I've had a head cold since I got my BAHA, but because I did the BAHA demo.

As I recalled a little while ago, when I did the demo, the processor was attached to an elastic band I wore on my head.  My doc had me plug my "good" ear with my finger while he talked to me and I could hear every word he said.

So, if your good ear was plugged due to a head cold, you could still hear with the BAHA.

Sorry for the confusion; guess I knew the answer to your BAHA question all along  :P

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways