Author Topic: single shot CK vs 3 how does it effect outcome?  (Read 2315 times)

okiesandy

single shot CK vs 3 how does it effect outcome?
« on: January 07, 2006, 01:02:51 am »
I am writing this for a friend and also for my self. My friend is sight impared and has an AN. He of course wants to preserve what little hearing he has. His doctor wants to do single dose CK.
Does anyone have some research on the difference in hearing preservation between the single treatment and the 3 dose treatment?

Also the afternoon before I was scheduled to do a 3 shot dose. My doc called and said they were only going to do one dose CK. I didn't have hearing and it would not matter if I did only one. I said I thought that by doing it over a longer period it allowed the healty tissue to repair. The have gone ahead and started the 3 dose because I was so upset that the plan had changed at the last minute. I finished number 2 today.

If anyone can help with these questions we would appreciate it very much.  Also does anyone kknow if the do single dose CK at Stamford?

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Kilroy1976

Re: single shot CK vs 3 how does it effect outcome?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 10:07:57 am »
My doctor told me that there haven't been sufficient studies from which to draw a definitive conclusion on this matter. His educated guess was that spreading out the dose would probably result in a slightly reduced occurrence of damage, but would also result in a slightly reduced effectiveness of the treatment. He speculated that the differences in either case would not be sufficient for him to recommend one method over the other. Of course, bear in mind that this is just one doctor's opinion, and an opinion that is probably based more on a gut feeling than solid research. For what it's worth...
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida