Author Topic: Minimally Invasive Surgery  (Read 3157 times)

Energy Prof

Minimally Invasive Surgery
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:00:10 pm »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a surgeon who uses minimally invasive surgergy in or near the Midwest? I have consulted with the Dr. Shahinian with the Skull Base Insitiute and am impressed with his results but would like to find someone closer to home.

Best regards,

Energy Prof

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Minimally Invasive Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 06:03:05 am »
Prof -

I could be wrong, but I think what Dr. Shahinian does is unique.  I haven't heard of any other docs treating ANs this way.

I hope you don't mind if I ask, but if you are looking for a minimally invasive treatment, why not go with radiation?

I'm in the Midwest - Chicago area - and my docs do radiation as well as surgery and I highly recommend them.  If you want more info, PM me.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Energy Prof

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 07:13:50 pm »
Jan:

My understanding of radiation is that it arrests the gowth of the tumor but does not eliminate it.  Since there is a good possiblility that my tumor is the source of my inability to sleep through the night I would prefer to have it removed.

Energy Prof with low energy

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 07:37:08 pm »
Hi Prof,

It is correct that radiation stops the growth of the tumor and does not remove it. However, I would be cautious about thinking that any treatment actually fixes things that have been damaged. Treatment is primarily about not having anything else go wrong, and not having things get worse.

I think the only other place I have heard of that does endoscopic surgery for ANs is University of Pittsburgh. I think it is Dr. Jho.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, too.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 09:41:52 pm »
Prof -

totally understand your preference to have your AN removed;  I chose surgery because removal was my preference too.

You are correct.  Radiation does not remove an AN, it just attempts to stop it's growth (which it typically does) but it takes some time to see the results.  Surgery, though more invasive than radiation, gives you more immediate results.

As Steve said, neither radiation or surgery can "fix" damaged things, they just prevent things from getting worse. 

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Energy Prof

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 07:45:09 pm »
Steve:

Thanks for the lead.  I am asking them what their outcomes are.  Hope I can get that without a consult since it will require another battle with my insurance company.

I am aware that most nerve damage is irreversible but I am hopeful that removing the tumor may remove the fatigue.  Here is my theory.  The tumor is disturbing the chemical balance in the brain which affects ones ability to stay asleep.  The pamphlet that the ANA publishes on the outcomes after surgery shows a significant number of people suffer from fatigue immediately after surgery.  This number drops after six months.

Best regards,

David

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 09:10:46 am »
Steve,

The fatigue mentioned comes from the constant work the brain does to keep us upright and walking balanced.  With a healthy patient that has two hearing ears, two vestibular nerves, two good eyes, strong neck/feet they don't even THINK about staying upright and balanced when walking. 

As a surgical patient with the vestibular nerve cut (this is where the tumor grows from) and SSD my balance is precarious at all times, but if you saw me walking around, running around you wouldn't even know it.  If you were in my brain, boy would you run as it's very noisy in there working CONSTANTLY through the help of my eyes, one so-so ear, one so-so left over vestibular nerve, and proprioceptors in my neck/feet area trying to work together.  Now with all that going on let's add everyday noise, conversations, and our jobs.  We are truly fatigued and will remain fatigued. 

Hope this helps you and by the way, WELCOME!

1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear