Author Topic: Hey, Zeek's back  (Read 1697 times)

zeek

Hey, Zeek's back
« on: August 07, 2008, 06:51:21 pm »
Today I had my 6 month M.R.I. They don't know yet if it is a scar tissue they are looking at, or a regrowth. The tumor board is going to review it. My operation was for a 2.5cm a.c. I'm thinking that since it's my first M.R.I. since surgery, that it's only a scar tissue. If it's not, they want to do another M.R.I. in 3 months, then probably radiation. If that happens what can I expect? (Side effects) Thank you. Zeek.

sgerrard

Re: Hey, Zeek's back
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:42:47 pm »
Maybe some swelling, though I think that is less of an issue when radiation is used after surgery; maybe some fatigue. Such effects are possible over a period of 3-18 months after treatment, with the 3-6 month slot being most typical.

Hopefully this is idle speculation, and you won't even need it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:30:20 am »
Hey Zeek, welcome back!

I had radiation (FSR) 3 months after my retro surgery as part of a comprehensive plan.  The FSR was easy to the point of boredom.  The facemask is extremely confining but you adjust, and it's only about 20-25 minutes a day (for 26 days, weekends off).  I had no nausea or fatigue issues, although I did have some mildly uncomfortable swelling a few months after the FSR, which was typical.  Ibuprofen handled it and the swelling subsided within about 9 months.  I drove to and from the radiation center every day (62 mile round-trip).  That was FSR.  I have no experience with GK or CK but many others do and will be glad to offer their comments and advice, I'm sure.

Lets just hope that your next MRI will show no growth and no radiation will be necessary.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

zeek

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 04:33:30 pm »
The doc won't speculate what kind of treatment I would need, if it did come back. But, it was my assumution that it would be a one shot deal, then it would be over with. not an on going thing. Lets just hope it's scar tissue. Thank you!