Author Topic: Newbie with lots of questions.  (Read 12977 times)

chopper

Re: Newbie with lots of questions.
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 07:50:40 am »
I am very concern with the new baby on the way and the SSD. I am afraid of being alone and not hearing the baby cry at night.  :(

I don't like the idea of my wife doing it all.  >:(

Does anyone have any advice for this?

I was in the same boat last year.  Surprisingly, even sleeping on the good side, I could hear my boy and would wake up most of the time.   If I didn't, and it was my turn to get up, I got a not so subtle kick from mom to wake me up.  I'm sure your wifey will do the same lol  :D
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

Roger64

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 08:38:08 pm »
The back down all together. We found out the we had max out our family out of pocket and we still have other medical charges that the insurance company has not processed yet. So, it looking like we will have entire surgery paid for it at 100% by the insurance company.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 09:36:31 pm »
Excellent, Roger  ;D  Surgery must be "on" then for your regularly scheduled date.

My AN surgery was paid 100% by my insurance company and it was a good thing, since it cost in excess of $100,000.

My insurance company also paid 100% of my BAHA surgery and the processor (hearing aid), which cost about $46,000.

Although there are many times I curse my insurance company, there are also many times I'm thankful I have them.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chopper

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 11:20:02 am »
Both of you....LUCKY

<--- Not so fortunate
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

Roger64

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 08:13:29 pm »
Jan I wish my insurance company would pay for hearing aids.  I asked and argued but they said no just the same.

So, the surgery is on for next week. For some reason I am very claim about it. I have been getting more upset when I think of the burden I am placing on my loving wife.

I also feel sorry for our unborn child. I feel like the focus has been on me and not the new baby coming and my wife. I also feel bad for my two girls now they seem to be ok but I know I’ve stress them out too more than they should be for their young age.

Then I feel guilty for feeling guilty if that even make since.

Sorry to hear about your insurance Chopper.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 08:45:35 pm »
Jan I wish my insurance company would pay for hearing aids. 

Roger -

like most insurance companies, mine does not pay for conventional hearing aids.  They paid for my BAHA processor because it isn't a conventional hearing aid.  Without the titanium post implanted into my skull, the processor would be useless to me  :P  And it would be kind of dumb to have the post implanted and then not get the processor - defeats the whole purpose; although I have heard that some wacky insurance companies do this  ::)

The key here is the BAHA is an implant.  If you are interested in the BAHA make sure you make this distinction in your request and stress this terminology when approaching your insurance company.   Also note, that if your insurance company covers Cochlear implants, they have to cover BAHA implants.  Cochlears are for bilaterally deaf people (both sides); BAHAs are for unilaterallly deaf people (SSD).

Don't worry about the your two girls; they are so young, they probably won't remember much about this episode in their lives.   Brain surgery is a big thing - IMO bigger than being pregnant (no offense to your wife) and I had twins.  The focus rightfully should be you for a while.  And by the time the baby is born the focus will be off of you and onto him or her and your wife.

I'm glad you feel very calm about your upcoming surgery.  I felt the same way prior to mine and it helped me a lot.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2008, 03:04:40 pm »
Calm is good Roger, all will be well. I assume you put your date on the AN calendar?
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Roger64

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2008, 03:34:32 pm »
I will added it to the calender. Surgery in 3 days.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2008, 10:23:17 pm »
Roger -

I added it to the calendar for you so we could get our "best wishes" in on time.

I know the docs are Payner & House and your surgery is at St. Vincents.  I'm thinking it's in Indianapolis, so that's what I put on the calendar.  If I'm not right, please correct my entry.

Thanks and best wishes for a hugely successful surgery  :)  I'll be thinking about you and praying for you and your family on the 30th.

If you think of it, please ask your wife to update us - we sorry about our fellow forumites.

Jan

Roger64

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 04:52:26 pm »
I'll ask her. If she remembers everything I am asking her to do. Maybe I better start a list.  :)

I had a cool thing happen to me today. A friend of mine from Germany sent me his good luck charm from when he was a little boy. He said you can't buy this little smurf figurine anymore and he took it from his personal collection to give it to me for luck.

I was personally touch by this gesture.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 06:50:34 pm »
Roger -

IMO there's a lot to be said for good luck charms; it was nice of your friend to send you such a special one.

My good luck charm was a special saying that I had made into a book mark.  It goes like this:

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us (anonymous).

I read this saying several times a day before my surgery and for many, many months post op.  It helped me get through.  I hope your good luck charm does the same for you  :)

Jan