Author Topic: My Heroes are Brain Surgery Patients.  (Read 4146 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: My Heroes are Brain Surgery Patients.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 11:21:21 pm »
Robyn -

here are links to photos of my BAHA and Bucko's (sabuck's) BAHA.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6634.msg65388#msg65388

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6833.msg69546#msg69546

Bucko has a Intenso, I have a Divino.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

robynabc

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 01:11:37 am »
You know how kids are they would rather freeze than wear a coat.  And if it is visible at all he wouldn't want one.  Since he adjusted it isn't a problem. Now I am 43 and if I was told I would be able to hear better I would do it in a second.  Does anyone ever notice the Baha when you are out and about?
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 08:47:29 am »
Robyn -

I totally understand your son's outlook on the BAHA.  I'm 46 1/2 so obviously I have a very different outlook on it  ;)

No one notices it at all.  I took my daughter for her school physical last week and mentioned it to her doctor.  The woman had no idea I was wearing one, so naturally I had to do a show and tell.  She was familiar with a Cochlear since a lot of children have them, but she'd never heard of a BAHA before.

I've only had my processor for 2 months, but I'm at the point now where even I'm not always aware it's there.  It's truly become a "part of me".

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

robynabc

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 09:23:14 pm »
Thanks so much.   Hey can I ask you this?  How much does it help.   Would you be lost without it?
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 11:25:46 pm »
Robyn -

I don't know if I'd be "lost" without it.  There are others who are SSD and they adjust very well.

But I was not one of those who adjusted well.  I hated being SSD from the very beginning.  I was asking my neurotologist about the BAHA within days of my AN surgery.

I can tell you that personally I find it's made a huge difference in my life.  As I told me neurotologist about 6 weeks ago, I feel "whole" again.

Just this morning I was at the driveup window of the bank and I had forgotten to put my processor on.  Being deaf on my left side it was very difficult to understand what the teller was saying to me.  I had to ask her to repeat herself not once, but twice.  If I would have been wearing my processor, I would have heard her clearly the first time. 

I also find that it helps me a lot in both social and business situations.  For example, when sitting in a meeting at a large table with my colleagues, I no longer have to seek out the seat where I will be able to hear everyone.  I also don't have to turn my body and sit sideways - with my "good" ear pointed towards the conversation - like I used to do.  Now I can hear people regardless of whether they are on my "good" side or my "bad" side.

Jan