Author Topic: Brain & Baha  (Read 2934 times)

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
Brain & Baha
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:50:53 am »
Although I have only been using my new Baha for 1 week now and I know that I am still deaf on one side, but when I take it off I feel really deaf...again....if that makes sense. Also I think that my brain is already learning what the sounds coming from the Baha side sound like and I can tell that the Baha sounds are coming from a different side. It is pretty cool. I actually told my wife though on about the second day that I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not. I think though now that it is starting to become a part of me. I hope that this post is making sense. Does anyone else feel like their brain is learning "Baha"? Sort of like it is learning a new language? ???

Either me or the  Baha is being assimilated into the collective.  :P
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Brain & Baha
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 06:46:03 am »
Bucko -

I know just what you mean.  Although people say you don't get directionality from the BAHA, I can tell what sounds are coming "through" my BAHA and what sounds are not.

I've gotten to the point where I forget if I'm wearing my BAHA or not and have to actually reach up and touch it to make sure it's attached to my head.

I personally think it's kind of cool "being assimilated into the collective"  8)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Catflower

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:14:02 am »
Count me in on this one.  The first couple of days I didn't know if the BAHA was helping or not.  Now when I'm not wearing it I can really tell a difference.  My question is---are our brains in a constant state of confusion by wearing the BAHA then needing to remove it.  I sure hope not because my poor old brain in confused enough.

Linda

sabuck

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 02:52:54 pm »
Linda,

I am hoping that it is GOOD stimulation for my old brain for sure! I tend to forget and repeat things. Hey I am thinking that the Baha is training my brain...or was it.... :P  ;)
SSD post op - left side

lori67

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 10:47:47 pm »
I haven't noticed the directionality thing so much, but my abuttment is a little further back on my head than most other BAHAs.  I guess they needed to find good bone to put it in, so they did have to sacrifice some of the benefit of the BAHA.  But, I still wouldn't trade it for the world!

I panicked briefly today because I put it on in the morning and then drove to the mall - I didn't need it while at home or in the car, so I didn't even turn it on.  When I got into the store and went to turn it on, it wasn't working!   :o  All I could think was that it was dead and I was going to have to send it back and get a new one, blah, blah...  Ok, so silly me - took it off and realized, I'd forgotten to put a battery in when I put it on!  I remember my daughter talking to me while I was getting ready to head out the door, and I must have just forgotten to put one in.  Fortunately, no one knows what the heck a BAHA is anyway, so it's not like anyone could make fun of me!  At least not until I got home and told my family.   :D

Linda - I like the idea that our brains might be confused by the BAHA.  I'm going to use that excuse from now on! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sabuck

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:52:54 am »
Lori,

;D Great story! It gave me a good chuckle to start out!  ;D
SSD post op - left side

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 11:51:36 am »
I find myself feeling the same way about my TransEar.  When I'm not wearing it I notice my deafness so much more.  I've had to go without it a few times and it really bugs me not to have that added hearing. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:16:05 am »
Lori -
You really crack me up!  Only you would come up with the idea of using the BAHA confusing your brain angle.   You are too funny!!!

Always appreciative of a good laugh,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!