Author Topic: pre-op MRI I look like an alien  (Read 4009 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
pre-op MRI I look like an alien
« on: July 21, 2008, 12:38:40 pm »
So today I went for my Mapping MRI and they shaved my hair in a few places and placed big green and white eyeballs in various places on my head, including right above my eyes.  I'm looking pretty bizarre at this point.  But probably a cake walk compared to what I'll look like tomorrow.  Anyone else have this done pre-surgery?

I'm going to see if I can contact the mother ship now.

Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: pre-op MRI I look like an alien
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:05:13 pm »
Marci:

Yes.  It's part of the nerve monitoring procedure, or was in my case.  The markers indicate where the electrodes will go.  Sounds weird but you won't be awake to notice it and they'll be gone by the time you wake up from surgery.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 05:39:36 pm »
Marci -

I'm glad Jim explained what the "eyeballs" are for!  I had nerve monitoring, but didn't have anything like this.  In fact, I never had a mapping MRI.

I don't suppose you'd like to post some pictures of this for us?   :D  Only kidding!

Best of luck tomorrow; I'll be thinking about you and hoping for the best.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:29:55 pm »

I don't suppose you'd like to post some pictures of this for us?   :D  Only kidding!

Well I'd like to see those pictures too, and I'm not kidding at all!

Actually I think the doctors could do the whole thing without drawing on your face, they're just having a little fun before they settle down to work.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:26:26 pm »

Well I'd like to see those pictures too, and I'm not kidding at all!

Actually Steve, I'm dying to see pictures of this - it sounds so interesting! - but I was trying to be polite  ::)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ColoradoGal

• Can I make you a margarita?
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:24:54 pm »
Good luck, Marci!  I am praying for you now while you are in surgery.  Can't wait to find out how it goes.  You really moved quickly with getting your surgery scheduled.  Where is it being done? 
2.5cm x 2.8cm debulked Aug 2008 at Barrows
retrosig, Spetzler & Weisskopf
post-op SSD, but all the facial stuff is working!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:22:40 pm »
Hi ColaradoGal,
Surgery went pretty well and though I was under for 6 hours, I think they operated for about 4.5 hours.  It was done by Dr. Bambakidis and Dr. Megerian at University Hospitals in Cleveland.  To keep my sanity I thought about all the people (new friends and old) who were sending prayers and wishes  First 24 hours after were pretty rough but I'm home now and that is so great.  Thanks for your prayers especially.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 05:36:13 pm »
Gee, Marci -

I saw a new post from you under this thread and I was thinking you really did post your alien photos!  :o

Glad you're doing so amazingly well.

Jan