Author Topic: Help, I have a cold...and now I can't hear anything!!  (Read 8330 times)

Melissa778

Help, I have a cold...and now I can't hear anything!!
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:48:53 am »
I am 7 weeks post op from my translab.....doing wonderful, back to work full time and feeling great; that is until my 3 year old daughter brought me home a lovely cold.....it has now become a raging ear infection in my good ear no less......I am taking an antibiotic for the ear infection....but in the mean time....anyone have any suggestions as to anything else I can take or do to help "unclog" my good ear???  I can't hear hardly at all.....very frustrating....sounds like everything is very muffled...which is diificult with only one functioning ear :)  I'm wondering how the winter months are going to be.....agh :(  Any suggestions are appreciated... :)  Hoping it will all pass soon......I feel like such a whiner.... :D

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

lori67

Re: Help, I have a cold...and now I can't hear anything!!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:58:38 am »
Melissa - that was so kind of your daughter to bring you home a cold!  How generous of her!   :D

Fortunately, the only colds I've had since surgery haven't really affected my ear - more of the runny nose variety of cold.

Hopefully the antibiotic will help - they usually help pretty quickly.  Did you ask your doctor about taking a decongestant also?  Maybe that will help too.

In the mean time, just enjoy the quiet - it will be loud again before you know it!

Feel better!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tamara

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:56:56 pm »
I'll second the decongestant suggestion - that should give you some relief.  Children are so sharing, aren't they?  Hope you feel better soon.

On the cold issue, though, are you able to blow your nose?  Sorry, gross question.  But since my translab, and my eustacian (or however you spell it) tube is now filled with fat, I can't blow my nose without a ton of pressure and pain in my AN ear.  The neurologist today said that this will pass as things heal, but I'm dreading getting a cold...

Take Care,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 02:29:53 pm »
Melissa
I remember the "cold" gifts from my daughter well.  I think they cultivate colds in pre-school.  Since most of the hearing I have in my good ear is muffled, I can identify with your frustration.  As was suggested, use decongestants and you may want to try ear drops.  And as I always say, protect that ear whatever you do.  If you develop any pain -- see your doctor asap.  It could be an infection.
Glad to hear that all else is well.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Melissa778

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 05:51:31 am »
I've been doing the decongestant thing....it actually seems to be making my balance worse?  is that common with some OTC meds?  Anyhoo, I know in a few days it will pass, in the mean time my family is tired of hearing me say "what?" but I keep telling them "at least you CAN hear"  :D

Tamara,  I'm about 8 weeks post op and yes, I do blow my nose now....just not as hard as I would like :)  Glad to hear you're doing well. :)

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:04:25 am »
Melissa -

sorry to hear about your cold.  I never really got sick until I had kids.  I affectionately call mine "germ mongers"  :D

Not sure about the effects of decongestant on balance - maybe Steve can google that for us  ;)  Perhaps you're just wiped out from the cold and it's having an effect on your balance.  I notice that fatigue plays a big part in balance.

It's good that you can blow your nose already; I was told not to for 3 months.  I can't imagine having a cold without being able to blow your nose  :P

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways