Author Topic: Leaky head  (Read 11361 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Leaky head
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2008, 07:48:57 am »
Tamara -

glad the leaking has stopped; keeping my fingers crossed that it's a permanent thing.

I don't know if the original removal of the "bonnet" was a factor in your leak.  From what I've heard on the forum, all doctors have their "rules" but I'm sure they all know what they are doing.

IMO antsy & bored are both good things  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2008, 10:01:34 am »
Well, I don't know that this is necessarily a good thing - but you've now joined the "multiple-bonnet" club. 
 ???  We're a special group!! (Not that we wouldn't prefer to just be "normal" ANers...)

I hope that your head continues to be dry, Tammy.  Remeber to take it easy and give your head a chance to heal.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2008, 04:50:15 pm »
Tamara -
I just read the news that your CSF leak has apparently stopped, what great news!!  Being a member of the multiple bonnet club, you are in good company with Debbi and a few others.  I hope you're not starting a trend (Yikes!-- I hiope you know I'm just kidding about that).  Glad to hear you are feeling better too.  Hopefully each day willl be better and better.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2008, 09:47:21 pm »
Well, I don't know that this is necessarily a good thing - but you've now joined the "multiple-bonnet" club. 

I believe that full membership requires the posting of at least one "bonnet" picture on the forum... :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tamara

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 12:28:35 pm »
Gee, Steve, too bad I saw your post too late,  ::) and the bonnet is gone already, replaced by the ever popular Ace bandage.  So sorry....

Good news is that the apparently liberal use of stitches, staples, and glue applied on Wednesday are working at the moment and I'm no longer leaking.  Yay!  Someday in the future, I suppose I'll be curious as to how these will be removed, but at the moment it's enough to be dry.

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 06:21:03 pm »
Tammy -

bonnets, Ace bandages, we'll take whatever pictures you're willing to post  :D

Seriously, I'm glad the glue & everything else is still holding strong. 

Here's to dryness!!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2008, 04:47:47 pm »
Tammy-

Here's hoping you wake up with a dry head tomorow!!  (There's something I wouldn't have imagined myself saying to anyone six months ago... ;))

Hope your stiches and staples and glue continue to hold. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2008, 09:33:26 pm »
Tammy -
I second what Debbi said.  I hope you are on the mend and the worst is behind you.  Hoping you wake up with a dry head sounds kind of strange, but appropriate!  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tamara

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2008, 11:42:55 am »
Hi all,
  My head is still dry (YAY), and at the dr visit this morning, he said it also looks less puffy under the skin (another YAY).  I'm still keeping the Ace pressure bandage on, at least until ALL the puffiness is gone.  But I think I'm hopefully in the clear.
  Still having eye issues (am calling to bug the opthamologist about the Blinkeze again this afternoon), but I've been managing to move the corner of my mouth a bit the past few days, so I figure that's a step in the right direction.
  My cleaning people came again today (last day, though), so I'm enjoying not cleaning.  I started driving a few days ago.  What with the wonky head and poor vision, I'm driving like a granny, but oh well, at least I'm out there.  No parking problems so far.  My husband went back to work, and I hope to be getting on with my life a bit more now.
  Sill enjoying visits from family and friends (who also bring food!) so that helps, too.
  THANK YOU all for all your support and note-comparing.  It really does help a lot. :-*

Hugs,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2008, 12:01:17 pm »
Hi, Tammy:

Just a quick message to let you know I'm very encouraged by your progress.  One Step At a Time.  You go, girl.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2008, 02:21:57 pm »
Tammy -

it sounds like you're making progress! and a dry head!  Yea!

Sometimes recovery requires baby steps, but you're well on your way  ;D

Keep up the good work.

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2008, 05:37:01 pm »
Tammy,
Glad to hear you got good news from the doc.  It sounds like you're going great and will soon be out of the woods, so to speask.  Take care and don't overdo it. 

Wendy

P.S. Sorry to hear it's the last day the clarning people are coming -- I don't know about you but I hate housework!
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cmp

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2008, 03:36:35 pm »
Tammy--glad your leaky head "adventure" has come to an end at last! May your recovery be all smooth sailing from here on in!
Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2008, 09:06:34 am »
Tammy wrote

"...but I've been managing to move the corner of my mouth a bit the past few days, so I figure that's a step in the right direction."

Wahoo! That this is happening so soon is a VERY good sign! :)

Cheers,

Daisy Head Mazy

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!