Author Topic: Bouncing Vision - Any Suggestions  (Read 10302 times)

digby

Bouncing Vision - Any Suggestions
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:13:38 pm »
Hi Folks:  It's 9 weeks since my middle fossia surgery and things are beginning to look up. Last week I couldn't bend or kneel and today I started pulling up the kitchen floor so I would say that there is improvement.  My eyes are starting to tear and the lids are beginning to function but the bouncing vision which I think is called oscillopsia is still very much present. Has anyone had this symptom, is it a normal part of the recovery and does anyone know how long it lasts?  Any suggestions or ideas about helping with this very annoying problem will be appreciated.

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Bouncing Vision - Any Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »
Hi digby,

Things are really looking up if you are pulling up the kitchen floor!

I did not have bouncing vision...Is it constant or is it at certain times?

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 10:55:44 pm »
I had  bouncy vision right after surgery and still do sometimes when I get over tired or
headachy... my surgeon said it was normal for some and should clear up... I still have bouncy
vision when I am outside and look off in the distance a I am walking ... so walk focusing on the
ground about 15 feet in front of me

I had trans lab ... don't know if that makes a difference
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 11:20:13 pm »
Hi Digby,

I don't have an answer for you, but I really feel for you. I never imagined that this condition could last as long as it has for you. I had retrosig and for 2 days in the hospital I kept my eyes closed because I couldn't control my eyes. My right eye bounced all over the place and my left eye felt like it was spinning. I was able to see, but I couldn't focus on anything. Not only was it annoying--it was frightening. Doc said it was due to the surgery and that it would go away. On day 3, I regained control of my eyes and my vision has been fine since then. I really hope yours is not permanent.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 12:11:45 am »
Hi Digby,

The one thing I would suggest if the oscillopsia continues is to get testing and treatment at a vestibular lab. There should be one at a larger hospital somewhere near you. I had some testing at one when I was diagnosed, and I found the people there to be very knowledgeable, helpful, and very understanding and gentle. I think oscillopsia is a result of trauma to the vestibular or balance nerve, and they are the people who really know their stuff on balance related issues.

Meanwhile, stop pulling up the kitchen floor in frustration - or was that part of a remodeling job?  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 12:52:52 am »
Hi Digby,

I have just had my surgery and tell you that my vision is also a problem.  The day I came home, when I went to bed that night I shut my light off and I can really say I saw my alarm clock tip over..It was only me.  I know my surgery was just last Wednesdaay,  So I know it will make its way and adjust.  I also see things at the corner of my eyes but can't say they're anything there.  Hang in there!!
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

Raven

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 08:27:00 am »
Yep, I've got it, some days it is worse then others. Before my surgeries I asked my Dr. what it would feel like with my balance nerves severed, he said "things in the background would look like they are bouncing"..........boy was he right. My condition is a little different then yours, this is the "new normal" for me, your non AN side should pull up the slack. I'm getting used to it but it is always there in some form or another.

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

digby

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 10:32:53 am »
Hi: Thanks for the input.  Things bounce when I walk and this is the only symptom that hasn't changed or gotten better of the last few weeks.  If it weren't for the difficulties with the eyes this process wouldn't have been so bad.

My wife wanted new wallpaper or paint in the kitchen and I decided that a new floor was also needed. I feel better with a project and I think all the moving around is just as good as walking several miles a day.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 10:46:57 am »
Steve and Raven are correct: oscillopsia is caused by damage to the vestibular nerve. I had this condition for several months after the onset of my AN symptoms (years before I was properly diagnosed). It gradually went away. What seemed to hasten its departure was walking a lot, especially on uneven ground. That's the last thing you feel like doing because that's the activity where oscillopsia is most noticeable (at least it was for me). But by walking often, you retrain your brain to ignore the aberrant signals your damaged vestibuar nerve is sending to it.

Hang in there, Digby. With any luck (and a lot of walking!), this condition should improve and hopefully eventually go away. Have patience -- it might take a few months.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 11:13:12 am »
Digby,

I agree with Tumbleweed. Do as much walking as you can. As much as it is annoying to not be able to focus on something at a distance, it gets better the more that you walk and challenge the brain\eye\muscle coordination. When I got home from the hospital I walked as much as I could (with a cane for the first week). I felt like my eyes needed shock absorbers. Everything bouncing. It almost makes me hurl to think about it. I am sure that you know exactly what I mean. Medically I can't say what actually happens with this therapy but it did help me to improve significantly. Is it perfect now? No but much, much improved. I do notice that at the gym on a stepping type machine that I have to really concentrate on looking at a television on a far wall. Hang in there!  :) -bucko
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:35:02 am by sabuck »
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 01:20:27 pm »
Hi,

I too have oscillopsia and it is getting better. Vestibular testing revealed why I was having this very annoying symptom. I did various vestibular exercises which helped. So the exercises were escalated, I got worse and worse. By coincidence I stopped doing all my vestibular exercises and I am doing MUCH better. I am doing real life and functioning now. I would do the exercises again if it worsens, but not to such a high degree/ Everyone has to find for themselves what works and what doesn't.  Oscillopsia is frightening and makes life hard. My suggestions are • play around with exercising • get the balance booklet from ANA has some very good exercises in it • if things get worse, back off some.

Take care,

Mary ::)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

satman

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 07:33:15 am »
i had that problem and it was called nystagmus/nystigmus,not sure on the spelling,anyway vestibular therapy fixed it.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !