Author Topic: Ear clogged w/ garble  (Read 9500 times)

Mickey

Ear clogged w/ garble
« on: June 09, 2008, 08:18:36 am »
Woke up this morning with ear clogged and garble sound when put up to phone. The weather here in NYC is extremely hot with air quality terrible. Feels like I just got off a fast decending airplane. This in my AN side. Has happened a couple of times before in years past. Took some benedryl which seems to help symptoms. I`m hoping it goes away as in the past but am afraid one day it may not. If it dosn`t I`m thinking my time will come to act on AN. Watch and Wait for about a year 12x6mm AM which is stable. Any comments on something similiar? Thanks, Mickey

Kaybo

Re: Ear clogged w/ garble
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:39:56 am »
Mickey~
Never had this so no comment, but hope you get some relief!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:19:12 am »
Mickey -

I hope you get some relief soon, too.

I didn't have this issue, but it was only about 4 months between when I realized I couldn't hear well out of my AN ear and my surgery.

You say you are watch & wait.  How long ago was your last MRI?  Maybe it's time for another?

Just a thought,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:38:28 am »
Just had MRI with good results "stable" Due for next one Sept. which if stable again doc says will go to yearly. I was just hoping this was a "normal"  symptom maybe from allergy? I guess time will tell! Thankyou all for your concern and feedback. I`ll be here! Mickey P.S. I follow alot here and am glad your both doing well!

Jackie

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:05:08 am »
Hello Mickey,

I find as the weather changes, and the Barometric pressure changes, the "fullness feeling" in my An ear also acts up! It tends to be more blocked and my Tinnitis also is louder. As the day continues though, I find myself getting used to it, and then being able to ignore it! Watch and wait is a challenge, but I will continue until something else feels right for me! This forum is a wonderful resource and the people on it are a real inspiration and my helpmates!!!
Good luck on this AN journey we are on,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:51:33 am »
Hi Jackie! Very similiar experience!  Had a very big weather change here last few days in nyc. Im just waiting and hoping for it to pass. Called Dr. and he said short steriod treatment may be in order? Lets see what happens. Keep in  touch seem to have similiar situation going on. Thanks Mike P.S. YES, everbody here are inpirations and helpmates, God Bless!

Jackie

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:55:25 pm »
Hey Mickey,

What's the size of your AN??? How about your hearing, do you know your percentage??? Just where are you in your AN journey, as far as consults etc.?? When were you diagnosed? I have my next MRI in a few weeks to determine if there is any change. Oh the panic begins again, eh? I actually think I am doing better about the whole thing! I can talk about it without going into a tearful panic. How about you?
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Mickey

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 03:49:17 pm »
Hi Jackie,My AN is 12mmx.06mm. My hearing was relitively good untill this morning. Iv`e been watch and wait for about a year in AUG. Third mri due in Sept.with no change in last one. Iv`e also been doing neuromonics for 41/2 months which has helped with tinnitus. I belong to ANA New Jersey besides the general one. Did call My DR. Roland NYU and he suggested I get another audiogram asap. Maybe these are the thing we have to put up with while waching and waiting? I know it can be stressfull Lets see what happens. Good Luck on your mri, I`ll be pulling for you! Lets contiue to compare notes. Basicallly I`m going the course of whats dealt to me. If it has to go then so be it, If it wants to stay it has better behave!  Mickey

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 06:33:58 pm »
HI Mickey-

I find that the weather affects me in terms of post surgical aches, pains and irritations.  I have allergies that are also triggered by barometric pressure changes, so I am sure that this all involves some sort of swelling.  Although I'm not a doctor, it makes sense that swelling in the area around the AN would cause changes in your hearing.  Following that same line of reasoning, I guess that steroids would make sense as they reduce swelling?

I see that you have seen Dr. Roland - he and Dr. Golfinos did my translab surgery in April - just love them both. 

BTW, several of us are trying to plan a little ANer lunch in NYC sometime next month so watch the Community section of the forum for a post tomorrow, okay?  We'll hope it's not too humid!

Debbi - sweltering in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Mickey

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 07:59:27 am »
Hi Debbi! Thanks for your response! Yes, I use the same doctors as you. All my searching I seem most comfortable with them. I`ll look for the lunchen in NYC and try to make it. There is another great organization in NJ 609 683 4650 in case your intersted. Will be having a big meeting Oct. 25th. Please check it out. My ear today is 50% better! I`m hoping its just an allergy reaction as what you said and will be going for an audiogram just to make sure hearing is up tp snuff. I have followed  you on the boards and am so happy of your sucess! Talk soon, thanks God Bless Mickey

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 08:02:06 am »
Mickey -

glad to hear your ear is getting better.  Maybe, like others suggested, it is allergies.  The audiogram sounds like a good idea, though.

Is the weather there any better?  It's a little cooler and less humid today in Chicago, although they are talking hotter and more humid in the next few days.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 08:10:35 am »
It's still a sticky, hot, miserable mess here - but we are supposed to get a "cool" front tonight which will drop us back into the mid-80's tomorrow.  I guess spring is over...

Mickey, that's the NJ ANA, right?  I already have the date on my calendar, and am looking forward to meeting some of my fellow ANers there...

BTW, I also find that my balance is off when there are pressure changes.  Usually I am pretty steady, but the last few days I have definitely been a bit wobbly.  Maybe the fat in my head is expanding...

Debbi - fathead and proud of it
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Mickey

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 10:03:51 am »
HA HA! You got to have a sense of humor! This heat is terrible! Going for an audiogram tommorrow. Ear improvement today but still not back to normal. I`ll be the in Oct. ANANJ and probably will do some talkin on Neuromonics. They will have many topics of discussion. This heat can make anyone a little wobbly. Hope it dissapears soon! Mickey

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 01:49:04 pm »
Mickey:

You seem to have followed up on your ear/hearing problem with your doctors and have received good advice from them as well as from all the folks who previously posted messages to you.  I think an audiogram is a very sensible idea.  If your most recent MRI was in September, that's nine months ago and things may have changed .  Even so, I suspect that with the weird weather we've been having in the northeast (I live in Connecticut) may have triggered allergic reactions that have affected your hearing.  My wife has developed laryngitis this week due to allergies (no jokes, please) and she receives monthly injections for her allergies.  I've noticed that I sneeze more than usual and my allergies are very mild, usually handled with one Zyrtec tablet.   

I trust your tests will come back 'negative' (for problems) and your normal hearing will soon return.  Keep us updated.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mickey

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 02:29:01 pm »
Thanks Jim! I`m glad to see your doing well also. Mickey