Author Topic: eyesight loss  (Read 11092 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: eyesight loss
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 03:31:18 pm »
Jan:

I had the short-term, post-op double vision, too.  I didn't even notice it until my third day out of surgery when I attempted to read a book my son had brought me.  The double-vision thing was very annoying but like the stubborn guy I am, I kept reading as long as I could, anyway.  I don't recall the double-vision affecting watching TV, but I never paid all that much attention to the nonsense that was usually on TV, so I might have just failed to register the double-vision.   Forunately, it subsided fairly quickly and was about gone by the day I was discharged from the hospital (5 days post-op).  I noticed a very mild version of double-vision my first few days home but only when reading (I read a lot).  That disappeared within a few days, although the computer monitor was a little hard to read for another week or so.    Its all good, now, although I'm due for another eye exam, soon. 

Steve's explanation (via Dr. Medbery) was informative because I didn't think the optic nerve was involved with acoustic neuromas.  Now, the double-vision thing makes sense, so, I offer thanks to my fellow moderator.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 04:57:14 pm »
I had the short-term, post-op double vision, too.  I didn't even notice it until my third day out of surgery when I attempted to read a book my son had brought me.  The double-vision thing was very annoying but like the stubborn guy I am, I kept reading as long as I could, anyway. 

Boy, and I thought I was stubborn  :o

I noticed the double-vision as soon as I opened my eyes post op - that is, as soon as the room stopped spinning  ;)  I'm a big reader also, but didn't have any interest in reading post op so I didn't attempt it.  There is a lot of nonsense on TV and I usually don't watch it, but having no interest in reading and being unable to sleep, I resorted to the TV as a last resort for entertainment.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

er

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 05:42:51 pm »
Hello,

I myself developed double vision after surgery.
it is very hard to focus on any kind of reading for very long.
eve 

OMG16

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »
I thought I would give you my input regarding eye teaming and optic nerve compression disfunction.  My son does have a tumor that compresses his optic nerves and has experienced double vision, visual field cuts and eye teaming problems.  He has to close one eye and tilt his head often to get his vision correctly centered and single vision.  We have used an neuro-opthalmologist and she is also trained in training the eyes to work as a team.  We have had great success with this therapy and continue today even after 3 years.  It is my understanding that even a blood vessel could put enough pressure on the optic nerve to cause these problems.  I would really suggest that you find a good neuro-opthalmogist and have a visual evoked potential test done to see if the blood vessel is pressing on one or both nerves.  It only takes slight pressure to cause these symptoms and you do not want the vessel to rub up against the nerve.  It makes for a very angry nerve indeed.  Kisses to your and your husbands foreheads.  16  :-*
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

lori67

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 03:42:35 pm »
Well, I know that my AN did not directly touch my optic nerve, but since my surgery, the pupil in my AN eye reacts a lot more slowly to light than it used to.  It used to be normal, but now my eye doctor says it reacts more slowly than he would have expected.  Must be one of those strange things that happens to a rare few.  And it explains why forgetting to put on my sunglasses when I walk outside renders me completely blind for a few moments.

16 - HOW THE HECK ARE YOU???  Good to see you back.  Sorry if I missed your return, if it was in the past week, I was out of town and missed a lot of goings on around here!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 04:56:07 pm »
16 -

it's been a while.  How are you?  Are you back to stay?

I hope things are going well for you,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 09:45:23 pm »
OMG16,

There you are. How are you doing? Any progress? I hope things are getting better for you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

OMG16

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 08:34:44 pm »
Hey guys thank you for asking how I am doing.  I will be having surgery on June 18th for debridement of the bone in my face along with a biopsy and cultures of the mass in my sinus and the bone.  They have taken me off of my antibiotics for a month now and my fever is of course everyday along with the severe night sweats.  My body seems to be trying to fight it very well as I am not septic yet.  After surgery they will either do a massive resection or put me on antibiotic for up to possibly a year.

I have been gone lately due to an extremely huge work load, many Dr appts for myself and my Son and Vacation.  My son had a tumor scare right before we left for Vacation (my husband and myself alone to Palm Springs).  We went for his yearly neuro-opthamology appt and the Dr noted that his vision had decreased so much that she thought the tumor was reattaching to the optic nerves and was causing him to go blind.  She also found a bleed behind his right eye so she ordered some new machine to test his vision without him having to work so hard at it.  We found out the day before we left and went to see her 2 weeks later when we got back and his vision was even worse so we were very worried for him.  It turned out that she was able to get his vision 20/20 for the first time since his diagnosis with the new machine and the bleed was stable so she will be watching him closely.  We will just follow up with his neurologist in a few months and have his first MRI in 2 years along with a visual evoked potential test.  Just another day in his life.  He is still smiling and is trying to break the mold of how people perceive disabled people.  His words of course not mine.  He is going in the fall back to high school, actually online with the support of his counselor, his Dad and I.  I think that he is headed for a wonderful life and I am so very proud of him!  He has been told by SSDI that they do not think that he can ever work more than a few hours a day.  I don't agree I think that given the right support he can do almost anything with his determination and abilities he has left.

Lori you did not miss my return and I want you to know that I am so very sorry for what you have had to deal with lately.  Kisses to your forehead.  :-*

Jan I am back to stay however summer is a very busy time for work and we do alot of camping and vacations.  We go in July on our yearly house boat trip and I can not wait it is awesome to watch the wildlife from the beach on the lake and the sunsets are to die for.  We load up in the hot tub on the top deck and turn the stereo up and just enjoy our Family and the enviroment around us.  We go to Lake Roosevelt and rent our 60ft boat at www.dakotacolumbia.com if you would like to see the nice website they have.  I would recommend this vacation for everyone to try at least once in their lifetime.

Steve I would like to say congradulations on your new found position.  You and Jim both deserve the respect and gratitude that all of us in the forum have to offer you.  Now hopefully we will get a summer soon in the pacific northwest!

Love you guys! 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 08:41:00 am »
OMG :-*,

So glad you are back!!!  Missed you and all of those kisses to the forehead.  I'm sorry your son has been so much, not to mention your own health issues.  Your summer vacation sounds divine.  Enjoy, but please check in if you can, because you are really missed :-* :-* :-*

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

lori67

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 10:03:46 am »
16 -

Your son is a tough cookie, and I know he'll be able to do whatever he puts his mind to.  He obviously has great support from him family.  I don't think he's the type of person who will let anyone tell him what he can't do!  Good for him.

I hope your medical situation gets better.   You've been through so much.

Your vacation sounds wonderul.  I can't imagine how beautiful and peaceful it must be..  Wanna take a few of us along with you for company?  Oh, wait, that would probably cancel out the peaceful part, huh?

Glad to have you back!
Lori   :-*
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

OMG16

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 11:43:06 am »
I believe if I took all of you we would definately be kicked off the lake and not allowed back, but what fun we would all have.  My son would really enjoy the likes of you guys you would fit right in.   After your freezer incident I would be worried about you in the hot tub it would be way to deep for you we would need a spotter for you.  LOL  ;D 16

lori67

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 11:58:28 am »
I'll bring my inflatable ducky life preserver, just in case.   ;D

OMG16

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 12:00:31 pm »
You of course will need to wear it all of the time or the kids will hide it from you.  ;)