Author Topic: How did it go with your GK this week PrisB_NJ?  (Read 2037 times)

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
How did it go with your GK this week PrisB_NJ?
« on: May 17, 2008, 01:31:56 pm »
Hi,

I have been thinking about you and haven't heard how you are. Hope you are doing very well and all went without a hitch.

Take care,

Mary 8)

Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: How did it go with your GK this week PrisB_NJ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:27:44 pm »
Mary -

thanks for starting this subject.  I read the AN Calendar incorrectly and thought PrisB had surgery this week.  I had her included with Ceci and Melissa on another subject.

Oops  :o  This lack of sleep is really starting to affect my brain!

Hope things went well PrisB  :)

Best wishes,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 02:34:36 pm »
Hi Jan,

I love the calendar! I noted you get you processor soon and I am looking forward to hearing about it, excuse the pun.

Mary 8)
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 09:50:09 pm »
Yeah, I can't wait to get the processor.  I'm trying to focus on that right now; it's kind of the light at the end of the tunnel.

Life is interesting at the moment.  I'm having mixed emotions about my agreement to sell the house plus I'm not looking forward to dealing with my ex again after 18 months with no contact.  The kids and I have gotten settled into a really good place emotionally and none of us want that to change.  The last few days I've found myself moving back and forth between anger and depression.

But this too shall pass.  Hell, last year I was dealing with a brain tumor, I can certainly get past this  :)

Jan

Sorry to have hijacked this subject - now where is PrisB  ???
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

PrisB_NJ

• 2 cm diagnosed 11/2007
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 04:12:25 pm »
My Gamma Knife session last week with Dr. Kondziolka at University Of Pittsburgh medical Center (UPMC) Presbyterian Hospital went very smoothly.  They are really geared up to handle GK patients.  There were 4-5 scheduled on Thursday with 6 more on Friday. The nurse said that 2-3 ANs were handled each week.   So there is a lot of expertise at UPMC. In fact, Dr. K said that they train other neurosurgeons 6 times a year.  I had an initial appointment on Wednesday with Dr. Kondziolka who answered my many detailed questions, including how many GY he was going to give me (12-13 Gy)and what machine he was going to use. I had blood drawn for creatinine clearance, a requirement for MRI with dye, if you have not had a test in 60 days.  The hospital needs to know that your kidneys can excrete the dye properly.  The nurse also asked me many questions about implants, metal fragments, etc. to ensure that the MRI would go safely.
On Thursday, my family and I reported to the hospital at 6 AM for a very efficient admitting procedure. Then I went to the GK unit where I was given Ativan sublingual and an IV.  I had an MRI in the same GK area. The mask was screwed in after a gel was put on the appropriate spots.  I did not feel anything. The GK (Perfexion) was very quiet with just some noise when the machine adjusted itself.  After, I recovered in the same cubicle with my family present.  I only had minor discomfort when a couple of the screws were removed.  I left in a wheelchair with my head wrapped in gauze which was removed when I returned to our hotel room.  I slept about 3 hours after the GK, a combination of the early hour and post-GK meds. The screw holes are almost completely closed now with some swelling on the right side. Today I had some stabbing pains in my head on the AN side, which I handled with ibuprofen.  All in all, it was a successful trip. The worst part was the 6+ hour trip back to NJ in the rain on the Penn turnpike.  I would certainly recommend UPMC (very professional nursing and administrative staff)and Dr. Kondziolka to anyone who is contemplating GK radiosurgery.  I was in the hospital for about 5.5 hours, most of which was prep and recovery. 

Thanks for your interest.  If you have any specific questions, please send me an email.  Just remember, I was in twilight sleep during most of this process!

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 05:51:55 pm »
Thanks, PrisB_NJ. I assume that is not your real name. :)

Dr. K (I can never remember his actual name) is more or less a legend in GK. His work back in 1997 paved the way for bringing radiation treatment of ANs out of the back room experimental lab, and into the foreground as a mainstream treatment option. He also led the way in reducing GK dose from 25 Gy to 12-13 Gy, now the GK standard. I don't think you can get a better combination than Dr. K and a GK Perfexion.  8)

I'm not sure if you ever said what size your AN is - or make that was, since it is a goner now. Or what the state of your hearing was going in? We are always curious about the details of your case, even if the actual procedure was a blurry haze.

Glad to hear it went well.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:29:14 pm »
Yea Pris!!!!!!!!!! ;D

So glad to hear of your good experience. I am sure this will help others considering GK in the future. I too was looking at it but for me I have decided on CK. It was a difficult decision because both sounded comparable. Please keep in touch and updated, because I think your experience is worth noting. It sounds like you had a superb team and I think that is the key. I would hate to go to someone who had to look ANs up in the medical books! LOL.

Hope you continue on the same path and can avoid those trips on the Penn. Turnpike.

I am cheering you on here in sunny AZ!

Mary

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:23:08 am »
Thanks for the great update - so glad things went well for you!  As Mary said, it is very helpful for those of us undecided on treatment to hear/read these updates...and so many are so positive.

Thanks and hope things continue to go well for you - keep in touch,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings