Author Topic: Iowa flooding  (Read 1869 times)

Cheryl R

Iowa flooding
« on: June 16, 2008, 07:20:55 am »
   I  have mentioned I am in central Iowa but I am from SE Iowa originally.   Some of you may have seen some SE Iowa towns with the flooding on many tv news shows.        My sister lives in Wapello and a niece and cousin lives in Columbus Jct.     They have no home damage but just   having to live with the problems it is causing.    Roads are flooded.  Another niece lives near Iowa City in a small town with most roads flooded into it.             Very  sad to see this all happening.   
I go to Iowa City for my AN treatment and only 1 road is open to the hospital.        Non essential appts and surgeries are encouraged to be postponed.              I know the areas they are showing on tv with high water levels.                 Our youngest daughter went to the Univ of Iowa so she had kept watch on tv too what is going on.
I do live near one of the major flooded rivers.     I am on the top of a hill and the river is at the bottom.       A major Hwy to the north is flooded so the traffic detour comes by where I live. 
I feel so bad for those who have had their homes flooded.          It is going to be a very long time for the state to ever get back to normal. 
                                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Iowa flooding
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:49:31 am »
Cheryl-

I've been thinking about you all weekend, as I see the pictures on TV of the terrible flooding.  I am must glad your house in on a hill!  So terribly sad for so many people who've lost everythimg though.

Will you be able to get to the hospital for treatment?  (As if you really need one more thing to worry about now.)

You and your family continue to be in my prayers, Cheryl.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:51:34 am »
Cheryl,
You all are in my thoughts and prayers.  Having been through the floods in NYS in 1972, I am so aware of the loss and the heartaches that follow.
Hygs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:24:37 am »
Cheryl -

my heart goes out to the people in Iowa who are having to deal with this.  Thank God you are located on a hill.

I've seen the footage of Iowa on TV, along with the houses that got washed into the lake in Wisconsin (Lake Delton).  I can't even imagine having something like this happen.

Truly devastating.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:28:21 am »
Cheryl~
Thanks for the update and good to know you are OK...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 06:09:31 am »
Thanks for reporting this Cheryl as my husband and I were wondering if you were affected.  Very sorry to see what is happening in your state, but very happy your home is not affected--you've been through enough and don't need to deal with more big problems.  My mom has relatives in Ottumwa and haven't heard if they have been affected (family issues here). 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 09:47:05 am »
Cheryl:

Thanks for the on-site report of the Iowa flooding. 

It is a terrible disaster and so many lives and families have been uprooted, homes destroyed, means of livelihood taken away, etc.  I can hardly imagine what it must be like.  My prayers go out for everyone affected by the flooding. 

I'm certainly glad to learn that you're safe but dealing with the aftermath is obviously difficult.  At least you have a home.  I'm so pleased that you're up on a hill and hope that you and your family can cope with the days and weeks to come, as the rains end, the water  recedes and folks try to clean up the mess and put their lives back together.  Again, glad you're safe.  Try to remain strong in the face of this natural disaster, Cheryl. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 12:45:18 am »
Saw some of the footage on tonight's news.  What a mess!  Wow.  My heart and prayers go out to all of the people affected by this terrible flood.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode