Author Topic: Has anyone retained their hearing with GK?  (Read 2950 times)

calimama

Has anyone retained their hearing with GK?
« on: April 22, 2008, 02:13:44 pm »
For those who have had GK, did you retain your hearing?
Also, how large was your AN and how long ago was it treated?

Thanks!
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Richey

Re: Has anyone retained their hearing with GK?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:38:44 pm »
I had GK a little over three years ago, my hearing was good before radiation, balance issues are what brought me to find out that I had the AN. It was around 5X8 mm. My hearing started declining shortly after treatment and was completely gone in a couple of months. I was told going in that hearing preservation was good with GK but I do not believe that to be accurate from what I have read here over the past three years. However, I do think that some have retained some hearing after GK. My tumor has remained stable with only slight increase at six months after GK and none since.

calimama

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:37:50 am »
Thanks Richey for sharing your experience.

Much appreciated!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Mia

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:27:22 pm »
Hello

I had GK in May -07 and my hearing was very good. Had my 1year test yesterday, and my hearing is still very good :D

Mia
Right AN 2,1cmx1,8cmx2,1cm
GK 22/5-07, Bergen, Norway
November-07  2,3cmx2,0cmx2,3cm
November-09  2,5cmx2,0cmx2,6cm
May-10 2,4x1,9x2,4cm

SusanT

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 04:26:48 pm »
Trish,
I had GK in June 2007. My hearing was not good prior to GK, but I could still locate sound. In September 2007, what was left of my hearing disappeared and I also lost my facial nerve function. 8 months later, I still have facial nerve dysfunction. Who's to say what "caused" the facial nerve problems (of course the GK doc doesn't think that it was the GK)-the journey continues...
Susan

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 06:33:39 pm »
My AN was originally 1.8 cm, after GK treatment (November 2003), it swelled up to 2.1cm over a 3 year period.  I still have hearing in the AN ear (high and low ranges)...the center band has been gone for some time now....was gone before the GK treatment.

I go for my annual AN MRI and hearing test shortly...so I'll see how things are doing.

Please keep me in your prayers all that my AN is still hanging out (no growth...hopefully shrinkage), and the hearing is the same I HATE THESE ANNUAL MRI"S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They stress me out   :-X :'( >:( :o ???
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:03:05 pm »
GM: If you put your MRI date on the calendar, more people will remember it. The link is in my signature below. Try for a day where there is not much else going on.  :D

If you are taking bets, I will put down $10 your result is "hearing the same, slight shrinkage to 1.9-2.0 cm." No fair if you are holding out and know more than I do.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.