Author Topic: imaginary illnesses?  (Read 2819 times)

steph

imaginary illnesses?
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:52:45 pm »
 I feel the need to share this and if I tell anyone I know they will think I am crazy. Does anyone else feel a sense of panic at every ache and pain they get wondering "what is it now" and then the anxiety makes your body do even crazier things. I am one year post op and feeling so much better and now I think that I am recovering so well I have plenty of time to worry about all the other things that could be going wrong with my body. Now I am afraid to call my doctor because I don't want him to think I'm crazy. Just needed to vent in a safe place. thanks ???

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
Re: imaginary illnesses?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:01:13 pm »
Steph I think this is perfectly normal. Before my tumor I had not had anything even close to life-threatening. I think we all now know we are not invincible and worry that an overlooked symptom could actually be a serious threat. Luckily, most of the time its something minor. Take care and don't be hard on yourself for your hieghtened sense of fear.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 03:55:07 pm »
Steph,

It's good to hear that someone else feels the way I do.  I used to ignore most any problems with my body as being normal and no big thing.  I even did that with some of my milder AN symptoms.  Now I'm a little hypersensitive to all symptoms.  Most things are nothing major, but now I'm more likely to get them checked out just for my piece of mind.  I guess that is part of the adjustment process.  I'm 8 weeks post-surgery.

Jean

translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

wanderer

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 04:00:06 pm »
my doctor said to me once.  you are too young to have this many things going wrong.    But finally tests started coming back normal and the stopped finding new things.   

I think you will always be more aware of things that happen because of the what if factor.   But I think over time it will diminish a bit.

Still makes you want to have a full body MRI and every test known to man doesn't it.

sdinapoli

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 09:06:50 pm »
Hey Steph,
 I'm only 8 months months ahead of you and could only suggest maybe less reflection. Maybe take breaks from this very site. I used to feel the way you do at times. Give your mind a break and take relief in knowing that you already made your decisions. The tumor is gone and you no longer need to deal with it anymore. I've noticed that the less I think about this stuff the better I feel. I'm even starting to notice much less tinnitus at times and sometimes none at all.     Take Care!  Steve D

steph

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 08:37:24 am »
Thank you all for replying to this, I am feeling a little more sane today. Thank God for this site. Steve, that is good advice and I am going to follow it. take care.

matti

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 01:54:40 pm »
Hi Steph - I think what you are feeling is pretty normal. I am 7 years post op and shortly after my surgery, I took notice of every twinge, ache and pain. When I would go for my check-ups every few weeks, I went with a mile long list of complaints and questions. My doctor was wonderful and very patient with me. He also told me what I was experiencing was quite normal for what I had been through.

I think Steve is absolutely right and you should take a break from AN's for a while. I know I had to do the same and I started feeling alot better.

Take care
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 04:42:06 pm »
Steph, maybe you will get a laugh out of this one.I am just recently diagnosed with 4x5 mm AN and am in the wait and see mode since I don't have hearing loss.Have dizziness and fullness in the ear at this time.Anyway, I keep thinking something new is going to happen at any moment.I am quite paranoid as you will see.Anyway, I was just sitting here reading on this sight, and I thought I was experiencing ringing in the ears.Turns out it is the wind chimes on the back porch.I had to laugh at myself since I know a sense of humor can help, but at the same time I think I will always be waiting for "it" to happen.I think you are normal in what you feel.Hope the best for you and all who have an AN--pre treatment and post treatment.
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs