Author Topic: Peripheral Vision  (Read 4613 times)

ajhunsicker

Peripheral Vision
« on: November 16, 2005, 12:31:40 pm »
I am 19 months post-op AN right side.  I have been so frustrated lately with my right eye vision.  Because of the eye not blinking and tear ducts not producing tears, I contantly continue to put drop and cream in the eye.  As you probably know this makes the eye very blurry and the vision absolutely stinks.  Twice now I have fallen down the steps.  Once in June, which resulted in right knee surgery in September and just this past Thursday.  Thursday I just tore up my left shin along with tearing my pants.  I keep thinking I am at the last step and still have one or two more to go.  After this last incident, I have just about had it.  I am scheduled this Friday for an appointment with my Oculoplastic Surgeon who has been monitoring my eye ever 3 months since my surgery.  I have been telling her about the blurriness and feel like I am getting no where.  I am ready to just scream.  Any suggestions appreciated!!!

Karen

Re: Peripheral Vision
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 10:20:35 pm »
I had my surgery 2 years ago in Dec.  I have a gold weight in my eye and no feeling on that side and my cornea.  I have to use eye ointment 4 times a day and know what you mean about the blurryness and not judging steps very well.  Let me know what your eye doctor suggets.  I see mine again in Feb.  He wants to leave my eye weight alone for now to protect it.  Most of the time I just keep it shut  its easier that way.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

lifeisgood

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 11:47:10 pm »
I am interested to find out if anyone else has peripheral vision isssues.
Here's my dilemna... The AN was removed from my right side.
When I look to the right in the lower outer corner, I have definite increased ringing in my ear and I get dizzy b/c I have the sensation of being unbalanced.
Does that make sense? The ground looks like it is shifting almost like the sensation you would have if drunk.
I did have my vision checked twice post surgery and all was fine.
I do not use drops or ointment anymore but 18 months post op this is going on.
I can easily live with it but it is strange.
Let me know if you have experienced this sensation.
:)
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

russ

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 11:19:33 pm »
Hi LifeIsGood!
  I see you don't mention the surgical approach but it is possible the vestibular nerve was traumatised if it is still intact.
  If the tinnitus is loud enough and the nerve sensitive enough, you may have 'sound induced vertigo' ( Tullios Phenomena )
  Seems a NeuroOpthamologist may be helpful to see?
  Russ

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:56:32 am »

When I look to the right in the lower outer corner, I have definite increased ringing in my ear and I get dizzy b/c I have the sensation of being unbalanced.

Let me know if you have experienced this sensation.
:)

Wow!! I have that too .. never noticed before untill I read your message and tried it myself .. the pitch goes way up!! when I look in the right corner!  (my AN was on the right), damn and I saw the Doc last week ... I wonder why! does the blood rate go up when you move you eye like that ???
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 08:21:44 am »
This seems to be a common issue with AN people !!!!

http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/75/9/1363-a

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 05:25:36 pm »
My tinitus certainly increases when I look through the right corner of my eye - interesting observation - never spotted that before. I don't have some of the other issues though. Not sure what to do about it - if anything.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 06:52:24 pm »
On further research there doesn't seem to be any link between AN's and Tullios. I have some very informative articles that are very technical but are worth reading - particularly about the improvements in MRI and CT scanning. I can copy and paste them in here but they are painfull to read. Can anyone help me on attaching these articles to this board. the articles are from a medical library where you need to subscribe to to read the link.

cheers

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Angela

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 12:58:49 pm »
WOW, I thought it was just me being weird!  So good to hear that others have the increased noise when looking to the outer corner.

My peripheral vision being 'odd' led to the discovery of my tumor in the first place.  Post-op, I still have nystagmus (a.k.a. jumping) but the opthamologist doesn't want to do anything until my facial muscles have returned to normal.  Whenever that will be...

11 months post-op and I just started driving at night.  I only do so if it's well lit and fairly straight.  I think it's a confidence issue now.

ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)