Author Topic: New Here--Surgery Scheduled--HELP!  (Read 3221 times)

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
New Here--Surgery Scheduled--HELP!
« on: May 02, 2008, 10:51:28 am »
Hi, my name is Nicole and I was just diagnosed with AN last week and am already scheduled for surgery next Friday, May 9th.  I am terrified. I have a young son, 21mos old, and want to be here for him.   Does anyone have any advice for me?   Questions to ask at pre-op?  Will I be ok???  What should I expect after surgery (for those of you that have been there)?  ANY and all suggestions or responses are welcome.  Thanks so much!
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

AJ

Re: New Here--Surgery Scheduled--HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 11:23:35 am »
Nicole, welcome to the AN board.  You will find a lot of very useful information from many folks that are willing to help.  I myself am having CK radiostatic treatment instead of surgery, so I can't speak to that.  However, there are plenty of folks here who will but I know that they will want to know a bit more about your situation, such as:  AN size, Where you'll have surgery, what type of surgery, some of your symptoms, etc. 

Take care,
Annette
2.5cm AN diagnosed 3/25/08 Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
Some hearling loss in right AN ear.
Slight Tinnitus and slight imbalance.
CK scheduled for May 28th! Woohoo!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 11:25:32 am »
Hi, Nicole -

being diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma is definitely scary and shocking.  I can relate to this - I was diagnosed approximately one year ago.  I had surgery myself, so I can answer a lot of questions that you may have.  But I'd like to take a step back here.

Can I ask how it is that you are already scheduled for surgery next week when you just found out you have an AN?  I'm not questioning your decision, I'm simply curious since most ANs are slow growing and there usually isn't any urgency to have them removed (through surgery) or zapped (through radiation) whichever the case may be.  I'm concerned that you may have been rushed into a treatment decision, especially because you are - in your own words "terrified" - which by the way is perfectly understandable  :)

We are talking brain surgery here, so you want to make sure that it is the best treatment option for you.

Depending on the size and location of your AN, you may have the choice of radiation - either CK (cyberknife) or GK (gamma knife) - or you may be able to watch and wait and do something about your AN at a later date.  Did your doctor mention any of this to you?

If I were in your shoes today, unless there was a really good reason why surgery was the only way to go, I'd slow down a little and look into all my options.  After you've done your research, you may decide that surgery is your best choice, but you never know.  I started my AN journey totally against surgery and ultimately that was my final decision.  The important thing is - you need to be informed.

As far as what you can expect post op - everyone has a different experience.  Some have side-effects, some don't.  Some side-effects last a long time, some last a short time.  Some patients recover quickly, others take a while.  The bottomline is that your outcome will depend a lot on you.  The best thing you can do if you decide on surgery is to make sure you have a doctor who has lots of surgical experience removing ANs.  If you decide on radiation, you should make sure the doctor you choose has a lot of experience with radiation.  There are some doctors who do both types of treatment.

If you are at all inclined to have a second opinion on your treatment options, people here can recommend doctors who you could consult with.  If would be helpful if you tell us where you are located and how big your AN is.

You will find lots of posts on this forum about what you can expect from surgery - and from radiation.  If you can, spend some time looking around - you'll learn a lot.  Also, if you haven't already, you should contact the ANA and ask them to send you some literature - it will be very helpful.

And to answer another of your questions, yes, you will be okay  :)

Jan

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:29:10 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 12:23:11 pm »
Thank you so much for the quick replies!  I am in Jax, Fl.  My Neurosurgeons are Dr. Green and Dr. Chandler.  They do gamma knife and surgical removal.  MY tumor is 2.5 cm--it has been there for years, but they believe it started to grow quickly with pregnancy and nursing hormones.  I lost some hearing in my left ear in 12/06, I was supposed to get an MRI at that time, but didn't b/c of nursing at the time.  Then, dizziness and headaches came months later. About 2 months ago I fell while blow drying my hair.  Soon after that, I got left sided facial numbness and my eye was lazy (the eye was only for 1 day) but the numbness has remained.  They do not feel that I am a cansdidate for GK, because they feel my tumor has "growth spurts"and they daid it need to come out, not just be reduced.  They did say that they may leave some around the facial nerve and treat it with radiation.  They recommended surgery within 3 weeks b/c of equilibrium problems and other issues.  Did I answer everything? :D  Thanks again!
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 12:30:25 pm »
Hi Nicole and welcome. We have many AN'er in the great state of FL and good to have you here.

There are studies that discuss how estrogen can be a key factor into enhanced growth of AN's, thus, your comments don't surprise me. Sounds like you have everything in order, based on what you have shared thus far.

when you don't feel overwhelmed, pls take a peek at the "PreTreatment" forum, as well as "Microsurgical" and "Post Treatment" forums, to help answer questions you may have.

If you need a few kicks and giggles tossed in to help offset the stress of it all, we have some fun going on in "AN Community". 

Again, welcome....
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:52:41 pm »
Hello, Nicole:

Please accept our welcome to the site and the forums.  Jan (leapyrtwins) has offered much good advice that I can only amplify a bit, so I will.  :) 

Two years ago at about this time, I was, essentially, were you are now.  Along with a gradual but eventually total loss of hearing in my left ear, I had developed rather pronounced symptoms; i.e. disequilibrium, intermittent stabbing pains on one side of my head and severe fatigue.  My sense of taste had practically disappeared, which led to a notable lack of appetite and a subsequent 30-pound weight loss.   Fortunately, it was weight that I could afford to lose.  At that point, my wife became concerned and although I generally looked at doctors visits as akin to torture, I was no longer able to ignore what was happening to me.  Long story short:  My PCP suspected a sinus problem and ordered an MRI, which found that my sinuses were fine but I had a 4.5 cm AN that was seriously pressing on my brainstem, which suddenly explained my symptoms.  The (second) neurosurgeon I consulted (the first one seemed apathetic) was alarmed and after we agreed on my treatment, he was able to schedule my (retrosigmoid) surgery for about a week later.  Unfortunately, during pre-op testing, an undefined 'mass' on my liver showed up on a CT scan.  The general - but unspoken - opinion was that it was cancer.  A biopsy showed it was actually a hemangioma (blood vessel mass).  Because I was asymptomatic, no action was needed.  My AN surgery was re-scheduled for 10 days later.

This is the part that may really interest you:  I underwent a carefully planned two-step process.  First, my neurosurgeon 'de-bulked' the AN, basically hollowing it out and cutting off it's blood supply.  He employed nerve monitoring to help him protect the facial nerves from being disturbed.  It worked.  I had no facial nerve complications and recovered fairly rapidly, driving again within two weeks following the surgery.  After a three month 'rest period' (my surgeon's term) I underwent 26 FSR (Fractionated Stereotactic Radiosurgery) treatments (approximately 25 minutes each, spread out over 5 weeks and one day) irradiating the tumor and theoretically halting it's ability to re-grow.  So far, so good.  My last MRI showed tumor shrinkage and necrosis (cell death) which was the goal of the radiation treatment. 

My surgeon worked closely with a radiation oncologist to 'map' (his term) the FSR.  The object of the FSR is to hit the AN but avoid the surrounding tissue and nerves.  Spreading the radiation out over time allows for lower 'doses' of daily radiation (about 21 gy in my case) which is believed to help the non-AN tissue rebound from whatever radiation it absorbs.  This treatment is also easier, overall, on the patient.  Fortunately, the worst part of it was the 62-mile daily round trip (I drove) and the boredom of being strapped on a rotating slab, wearing a very tight-fitting plastic 'mask' that allows the radiation technician to more precisely aim the radiation beam.  It wasn't too bad and I remained stoic and upbeat throughout, knowing this was doing me good and would be over, soon.  I did not develop neusea and really had no negative effects from the treatment, other than some tumor swelling post-treatment, which was normal.  This caused a 'tightening' feeling at the AN site and an occasional stabbing pain, all of which subsided within a few months. 

The benefits of this duel-path approach (microsurgery & radiation) is to destroy the AN but still protect the facial/cranial nerves and avoid facial paralysis and other facial nerve-related complications, including eye problems.  My neurosurgeon and the radiation oncologist were very excited about this approach and were elated with my results.  So was I.  :)  Of course, only you and your doctor can make this kind of decision.  I simply offer my experience here as real-life patient information that I trust you'll be able to use as you go forward.  I trust you'll have a successful outcome for whatever treatment you ultimately undergo and we'll be here to support you in any way we can.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mary 117

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 01:59:23 pm »
Nicole.
Take a deep breath and hang in there. It is overwhelming but there is lots of information here and really great people to talk with such as Phyl and Jan. It can be scary but hang in there. I remember the neurosurgeon I met with when I was diagnosised was great. He made me feel so secure that I walked out and told friends, "Brain Tumor, no big deal." And you know what, it took some time and energy but it really wasn't that bad.

Make sure you ask the right questions, get help from friends and family and pester everyone on this site for information if you need. There is never a dumb questions. We all know because we have already asked all the really dumb questions.

Good Luck!
Mary
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

lori67

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 03:02:13 pm »
Nicole,

Mary sure is right on that - we have all asked dumb questions, so feel free to ask whatever questions you have - they won't sound dumb to any of us who have been in your shoes.

I had a very similar sequence of events, it seems... right after my daughter was born, I stared having numbness in the side of my face.  No other symptoms, except for headaches which I was told were "sinus headaches" (I know now that they had nothing to do with my sinuses).  My AN was 3cm and my doctors estimate it had been there about 14 years.  My surgeon believes the increased hormones from the pregnancy caused it to have a growth spurt and start causing my symptoms.  I was diagnosed in January of last year and had my surgery at the end of February, which gave me time to do my research and decide on my course of treatment.  My surgeon said to me before my surgery that if I said I had something important to do in the next few months, like a vacation or a wedding to attend, then we could hold off on the surgery, but he didn't want to hold off for too long.  I had it done sooner than later because I planned on going to the beach in the summer and I didn't want to miss out on that.

Point being, I agree with Jan that it sounds like a quick jump from diagnosis to surgery for you.  Everyone is different and I certainly don't know the specific details of your situation, but just keep in mind that there are different treatments out there and it can't hurt to look into some alternatives before making a final decision.  There are people here who have had very good results with different surgical approaches, radiation or a combination of the two.  There's a lot of knowledge to be gained from this forum.  And like Jan said, I absolutely am not questioning your decision.  Only you can know what's right for you.

As far as your other questions, you'll be okay and you can still be a great Mom afterwards!  My daughter is now 2 and keeps me on my toes every day, like a 2 year old should, and I've never felt like it was too much to deal with.  Ok, maybe I have, but that's more age related than AN related!   :D

Good luck to you.  Keep us posted!  We're here to support you!!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cmp

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 04:23:17 pm »
Hi Nicole,

Like you and Lori, I was diagnosed when I had a small child (11 months at the time!), and also suspect that pregnancy hormones really sped up my AN's growth. Because mine was pretty big  (5 cm), I needed to schedule surgery immediately, and while I had many regrets that I'd lost hearing in my right ear because of it (the loss had been misdiagnosed twice before surgery) and had a high risk of facial palsy because of the AN's size, I remember being incredibly grateful that neither my pregnancy or my blissful first year with my daughter had been disrupted by the stress of diagnosis/surgery.

So that's the big plus about experiencing this very difficult situation when you are a young mom--you have an excellent perspective on what's important in life, and the pull of wanting to get back to caring for your child is just about the strongest healing medicine in the world...

5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

lori67

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 05:06:46 pm »
Excellent point CMP - you do whatever it takes to be there for your little ones.  They are a good inspiration - and they don't even know it!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

calimama

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 07:05:16 pm »
Hi Nicole,

I read your post and those who responded to you. I am sure this will all help you a lot.

Unlike the others who responded to you, I have not had any treatment ...YET! But I am booked!

I was diagnosed in late February of this year so it has been just over 2 months for me. It kind of feels longer... but not too long. I have spent my time reading and researching, talking to friends and family (only a select few though, i have keep this information close). Chatting with people here who have been so supportive. I have met with a few surgeons and 4 radiation peeps. I have had many nights laying awake wondering why me, and what i should do, and what would happen to me.

I started out against surgery, and in the end, have settled on this and have decided that while there may be no 'right' answer on what to do, I think i can best live with this decision. I am scheduled for May 12... so fast, but now that i have decided, i think fast is good. I have even got past terrified and sick at the idea.  I was not here 2 weeks ago! I was barely here a week ago. But now i am here, at peace with my decision and making all the arrangements.

I agree with what everyone else has said, that it is good to take time and get all the information that you need to be comfortable with your decision, whatever it may be. You may end up where you started, or somewhere totally different, but there is comfort in power, in having a say in what happens and when. It is good to have options, but tough. Not everyone gets to chose either, for some surgery is the only option.

I too have a little one who lights up my life... my 13.5 month old daughter Cali. I wonder if being pregs with her and nursing would have sped up the growth of my AN. I was aware of hearing loss and tinnitus before i had her. Anyway, what's done is done. I am keen to get past this AN and move on with my life and hopefully have another baby sometime next year. I must say that CMP has really touched on something and that is that as a mom you have a different perspective on what's really important and you have strength to get through what you must to be there for your little love.

You will get there... try to get as much info/advice as you can and then be brave and one day this will all behind you.

Good luck.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 08:34:51 pm »
Nicole -

after reading your second post which explains why your doctors are leaning towards surgery, I feel much better.  From your first post I kind of had the impression that your doctors made no mention of radiation and were just pressing you to have surgery  :o  so, I wanted to make sure you were aware that radiation might be an option.

While it certainly couldn't hurt to look into radiation, if you are comfortable with the surgery decision, IMO you shouldn't second-guess yourself.  Do what you feel is right for you - bottomline.

We are here to support you no matter what decision you make,

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways