Author Topic: Boating observation  (Read 1919 times)

Charlotte Lady

Boating observation
« on: May 02, 2008, 07:00:33 pm »
Finally I found something useful with my balance issue from AN's.  We went dolphin watching on vacation this week-an hour and a half in choppy waters.  Everyone else was staggering when they got off the boat.  I noticed absolutely no unsteadiness, sea legs or anything.  I had been afraid of seasickness but never even felt queasy.  So a tiny hurrah for my AN...a teeny weeny hurray.

has anyone else noticed such a phenomena?

Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

lori67

Re: Boating observation
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 07:05:16 pm »
Donna,

I haven't had the opportunity to get on a boat yet since my surgery (the opportunity doesn't present itself too often in Nashville...), but I look forward to testing it out!

So, you were walking like a sober sailor and everyone else looked like a drunken sailor for a change!  I'll give you a great big HOORAY for that!  I'll bet it was good for a laugh!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 09:09:28 pm »
Donna -

very interesting - and good to know.

I haven't been on a boat either since my AN surgery last year, but ironically I got my company's summer outing invitation today and we are taking an architectural boat cruise on the Chicago River followed by lunch.  One of my first thoughts, was - oh, no! I'm going to have balance issues! - which made me wonder if I should decline the invitation.  Sounds like I won't have to.

Thanks for the info,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 04:02:38 pm »
Hi Donna, do you mean to say that the daily balance issue we ANers have, has helped you on the boat? I'm not sure I understand. I have been afraid to get on a boat for a year and a half now, but am scheduled to be on one for the 4th of July. What do you think is going on with you?

Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 05:08:02 pm »
My best guess is that we ANer's learn to balance using sight more than our feet and inner ear thingie.  We ANer's just look at the horizon; it's steady and we go accordingly. 

I too worried about balance issues, seasickness etc etc.  No problems what so ever!

Have a great time and don't even give the AN a thought!

Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.