Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

what can I expect

(1/4) > >>

lugnuts:
I am so happy to have found this forum.  It seems to be the best place to find actual experential information.  Although I have had symptoms of AN for many years it was diagnosed Oct. 2006 and I have been watching and waiting since.  In Oct. 2006 it was 15 mm (transverse); 0.8 mm (A); 0.6 mm (crano caudial); in Dec. 07 it was 18.6;13.5 and 10.6mm.  It is growing and I feel it.  Aside from the typical issues described in this forum I have a few questions I have not seen the answer to; I know the progress is very individual but I would like some input.
My AN is on my R side; I have good vision in general in my L eye with the exception of inability to focus the eye; this has been occuring more frequently and happens several times an hour and lasts from about one to a few minutes; my MD does not think it is related to the AN; my OD says my eye looks fine.  Does anyone have related experience?
My other question is related to return to functionality after surgery.  I will have another MRI in June and suspect more growth based on my symptoms.  After  the Dec. MRI my MD said that we can schedule treatment or wait, I decided to wait.  I now feel that I will have the AN surgically removed in the fall.  I have a demanding job that requires great attention and energy (I am a director of a department-big woop); I am concerned about succession planning etc.  The question is: What is the recovery period after surgery?  Can I expect to return to norman stressful activity after the surgery, and, if so, how long does it take?  I would like to know (ie 4 weeks, 6 to 12 months, forever?)
Thank you,

leapyrtwins:
Hi -

I didn't have symptoms like the ones you describe, but I did have surgery.

I'm the controller of a professional nursing association, not a director, but still a hectic job  :)  I returned to work part-time in 2 1/2 weeks and full time in 4.  Everyone's recovery time is different, but most docs will say it's typically 6 weeks.

I don't know how much you have investigated your treatment options, but radiation may be an option for you and the recovery isn't as long as surgery.  You may want to look into it, if you haven't already.

Jan 

LADavid:
Hey Lugnuts
Jan does make a point (she has a brain you know  ;)).  There really isn't anything typical.  I was in excellent physical condition prior to surgery.  I had a 1.5cm on the right side -- surgery in the beginning of December.  When the tumor was removed, it had to be pried from the facial nerve stretching it a bit.  Even still, the doctors predicted a month or two recovery.  At nearly five months, I still have some facial palsy -- enough that I talk from one side of my mouth and have balance issues.  I can't go back to what I normally do for a living because I'm an actor and need full control of my face.  However, in my former life I was a marketing executive.  I would have to guess that at about two months I would have been able to return to work -- maybe shorter days, but I still would have been able to function.  If the issue of temporary facial palsy and balance (you don't do high-wire work, do you?) won't interfere with your ability to do your job, you could probably count on 6 weeks, possibly less.
Best wishes.
David

TLC719:
Lugnuts, I had eye pain in m right eye three years before they knew it was AN.I went to three or four different optimologists ,they did not have a clue.There was one I talked to over the phone he thought it could be a tumer but did not tell me because did'nt want to scare me.Mean time it was siliently growing all those years & my symtoms got worse. One morning I almost passed out,that when I went to my primary Dr. & finally got a MRI ,that told the the story A big lump in my head!3.8cm.I never thought that would happen to me maybe I should play the the Ga. lottery.In short Don't wait around to long! Truly TLC

Jim Scott:

--- Quote from: lugnuts on April 21, 2008, 10:45:01 pm ---
The question is: What is the recovery period after surgery?  Can I expect to return to norman stressful activity after the surgery, and, if so, how long does it take?  I would like to know (ie 4 weeks, 6 to 12 months, forever?)
Thank you.
--- End quote ---

The quick answer is 'everyone is different'.  My recovery from surgery was around two weeks but I would recommend putting aside four to six weeks for your recuperation, just to be cautious.  As for work, you can always come back sooner and I doubt anyone would complain, but if you say 'two weeks' and end up needing three or four to perform your demanding job, that'll be a problem.  Remember, this is major surgery, not something relatively quick and simple.  You'll feel better week by week, but you'll carry at least some minor 'reminders' of the surgery for a long time.  I do.  I'm in great shape two years post-surgery but in my opinion, I'm still improving.  I think this is common for post-op AN patients.

An acoustic neuroma can affect different nerves, depending on it's location and growth pattern.  That will include facial movement, eye control as well as tongue and facial sensation.  If you are experiencing an inability to focus the eye opposite the AN, your doctor is probably correct in that this has nothing to do with your AN.  However, I'm not a physician and my opinion is worth what you paid for it. :)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version