Author Topic: New Hearing aids  (Read 2522 times)

Richey

New Hearing aids
« on: April 04, 2008, 07:38:46 am »
Hello all, I have not posted for a while but thought I would give a little info today. About a year and a half ago I purchased a bi-cross hearing aid made by Interton and they have made my life better but had a number of problems with them not the least of which is interference from radio stations in certain locations.
  Well a while back I started going to the VA hospital mainly to get some help with prescription drugs now that I have retired. On my last checkup I was talking to the doctor and he said that he would set me up with the audio lab to see if they could do any better with my hearing loss.
  I found a great audiologist that took a great deal of time with me and then told me that she thought I had chosen a good option for SSD but that she could fit me with another brand that she thought I would find better sound quality. She also told me that if I chose that they could do the Baha system at the VA too.
  They fitted me with the Phonak Savia Art croslink. I just got them yesterday but what a difference. These have no background noise sound as my others did and they are very high tech in the way they auto adjust to what kind of sound enviroment that you are in. I do have to have the behind the ear pieces that I did not have with the other brand but I think that these are going to be far superior.
  If you are a veteran you might want to check out what they can help you with.
  I may go for the BAHA one day but for now I think I will stick to the aids.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: New Hearing aids
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 07:42:57 am »
Thanks for the info, Richey.  I am still on the front side of surgery, but am trying to read all that I can about various hearing solutions.  Lots of info from folks on this forum about BAHA, but it is good to hear about the croslink option - thanks!

Debbi - sneaking up on SSD...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 02:41:33 pm »
Thanks for that report Richey.  When my good ear goes I will be able to use an instrument like your Phonak.  I am glad to know about it.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 03:43:25 pm »
Richey -

it's good to know that they are improving hearing aids.  My mother, age 71, is starting to need one, but all she can remember is her grandmother and the problems she used to have with hers.  Needless to say, she is very reluctant to get one, even though I have been encouraging her to do so.  I'll have to tell her that the hearing aids of today are much better than the ones she is familiar with from her childhood.

Thanks for posting,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 04:35:14 pm »
Thank you for the Phonax croslink info.  I will see who all does them here in Atlanta.Its been two years now since I've been SSD.I would like a hearing device that works as well as yours.     Teresa
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!

Richey

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 07:55:51 am »
I know most of you would know this but be sure whenever you go to get an aid that they have the free trial period. The VA told me that I have three months to try this and if in that time I decide that it's not right for me that they can send it back and get a refund so I don't see why other hearing aid sales places couldn't do the same. The previous ones that I had gave me a one month trial. But anyway be sure that you use someone that will give you that. Also some places charge a fitting fee that's nonrefundable, I would try to avoid that also. My ear doctor was that way but he is not big into the hearing aid sales as his major business.