Author Topic: Running with a BAHA  (Read 7717 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Running with a BAHA
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 03:54:47 pm »
Huh - we all really need to find some better hobbies... ;D

Deb - B minus 29 in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 07:22:40 pm »
So, Lori -

did you borrow a little advice from Steve's suggestion above and say to the dentist "excuse me, let me take this device off my head" ?  Or did you just pull it off really sneaky like, when he wasn't looking?

Just curious.  I'm trying to educate myself on BAHA etiquette so when I get my Divino, I'll be prepared for all these situations  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 09:21:25 pm »
To heck with etiquette - I was afraid I'd have to pick my head up off the floor!!  I don't think Miss Manners has a chapter on BAHA use in civilized society!

I actually just reached up and took it off.  He stopped drilling because he thought he'd hurt me or something.  I said, "no, you're good but my head is about to vibrate off it's axis with this hearing aid on so just don't plan on talking to me on that side until you're done".  He just went back to his drilling, but I'm pretty sure the assistant was wondering where the heck I pulled that thing out of!

And the novacaine was interesting.  Not only was my AN side numb - but so was the good side!  Good excuse to have a milkshake for lunch though!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 10:45:57 pm »
I don't think Miss Manners has a chapter on BAHA use in civilized society!

Hey, I think you've just had another great idea!

We could write a BAHA etiquette book - LA David could help us - and market it through the ANA.

Naturally it would be included in our Dawn, toothbrush, cakebox string, etc., kit for BAHA users  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 10:56:29 pm »
Hey Jan

I'm not a BAHAer -- yet.  But it does pose some interesting scenerios.  I'm still trying to figure out this Frankenstein thing.  Perhaps the modern day monster in "polite" society.  I still haven't figured out your swimming dilema.  Were I to have a choice of swimming or hearing someone in the passengers seat (probabaly a mumbler anyway), I'd take no BAHA swimming any day.  Actually I've dealt for the most part with SSD for the past 23 years.  Swimming would always win.

Have a good evening
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 11:31:27 pm »
David -

when I saw you had posted I thought you were going to thank me for volunteering you once again.  First it was to keep the calendar, now it's to help Lori & me write a BAHA manners book.  I manage other people at work, so sometimes I get a little carried away and try to manage other people.  Sorry!

Anyway, I was teasing about swimming with a BAHA.  Although you can get the abutment (commonly referred to as a screw by some of us) wet, the device (aka a processor) is basically a small battery-operated hearing aide and has to stay dry.  It's not waterproof and I'd imagine getting it wet would "fry" it.

I know that Steve likes to refer to the BAHA as a Frankenstein thing, I prefer to use the term "bionic" - makes me feel better.  Kind of the way I like to refer to my AN, not my "tumor"  ;)

Jan 

LADavid

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 01:10:19 am »
Jan

I'm kinda old fashioned.  I just rely on the "what?"  But I am staying in touch with new developments.  I'm just still trying to get over this Frankenstein swimming thing.  I need to get in touch with Mel Brooks.  He did do something with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder like that.  I think.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

lori67

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 06:52:51 am »
Yes, but I believe it was pronounced "Fronkensteen".   :D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Catflower

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 06:56:14 am »

Anyway, I was teasing about swimming with a BAHA.  Although you can get the abutment (commonly referred to as a screw by some of us) wet, the device (aka a processor) is basically a small battery-operated hearing aide and has to stay dry.  It's not waterproof and I'd imagine getting it wet would "fry" it.

[/quote]

I'm definitely not a "runner", but I am a "walker".  Prior to my AN surgery last April I was walking 4 miles a day.  I'm currently trying to get back to that goal of 4 miles in one hour.  I'm assuming from what others have posted that I shouldn't plan on wearing the processor if it might get damp from perspiration.  Is that right?

lori67

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 11:29:35 am »
The processor doesn't actually sit up against your head - it attaches at the little metal part, but the rest of it - the inner workings, I guess - are actually not touching your head, so there's some air flow around it.  I've worn mine on the treadmill and it didn't get wet.  If I were doing a really hard workout and sweating a lot, I'd probably take it off.  In the package of goodies that come with the processor, there is a small jar of "Super Dry Aid" or something like that - can't remember the name..it has those little dessicant beads - like the package in the vitamin bottle that says "DO NOT EAT THIS".  You're supposed to put the BAHA in that every night to dry up any moisture that may have accumulated in there.

Jan, I think we might need a pretty big cake box to put all these nifty items in!!  We could be on our way to making our first million dollars.  Well, it would be my first anyway - i won't speak for you also!   ;)

Lori

dpetty

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 12:23:32 pm »
Well there is a product that is used in the rough service electronices field that seals motherboards,etc from moisture, I've used it on  computers and such that I have installed in rough\harsh conditions for some time, and it works well, when i get my BAHA I may well spray a protective coat on it as I live in the South and it is humid much of the time and I know I will forget to take it off when I go outside which is very often.

LADavid

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 03:15:22 pm »
Lori

You are very right.  It is Fronkensteen.  You all are raising my BAHA curiousity.  Is this covered by insurance?  I've been SSD for so long that I just fatalistically accepted it.  I'm anxious to see what you think David.

BTW -- does this work if you have a hearing aid in the "good" ear?

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

dpetty

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 06:44:17 pm »
Well my understanding is that some insurances will cover it, mine covers all of it so that is a positive, far as good ear and hearing aid I would told as long as you had a working ear then it would.

David

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 07:53:03 pm »
Just to update everyone, saw the doc today and he said "YES" I can run with a BAHA.  Of course he's never done that before since he doesn't have one, but I have lots of confidence in him and if he says I can, I'm very optimistic that I can.  Yeah!!!

Lori -

You know, you tell me such fun things every day about the BAHA - a little package of goodies with my processor - I mean, how cool is that  8)
Steve is going to be SO jealous!!!

And for the record, I'm way behind on my first million - and what I did have went to the divorce lawyers - a nice $85,000 chunk  :(  But it was definitely worth it  ;D

LA David -

I think more and more insurance companies are covering the BAHA these days.  Some of them will tell you no until you push the issue though, so don't do anything without checking with them first.

It is my understanding, from conversations with my doc, that you can wear the BAHA if your "good" ear has a hearing aide.  When he and I discussed which processor I wanted to have he told me there are two different "strengths".  The Divino, which I will have, is the "weaker" of the two; I think the stronger one is the Intenso  ???  Anyone we decided that the Divino would work for me and then I asked him what would happen as I age and potentially start to lose hearing in my "good" ear.  He said that I could wear a conventional hearing aide in my good ear and swap my Divino for an Intenso to make up for the diminished hearing in my good ear.

I think the main requirement of the BAHA is that you be completed deaf in your "bad" ear.

Jan 

lori67

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 09:23:07 pm »
As far as I know, as long as you have a functioning cochlea on the good side, you should be good to go, even with the hearing aid in the good side.  The BAHA works through bone conduction, so it doesn't actually have to go in your ear the way normal sound would to a hearing external ear. 

David, I think most insurance will cover it as long as it's billed as a prosthetic hearing device and not just a regular hearing aid.  I'm sure as they get more popular, more companies are going to have to cover it.  A good audiologist will know how to work things and what documentation to provide to your insurance.  They're used to playing games!

Jan, you'll get a whole box of fun trinkets - a little toothbrush to clean the processor with, some batteries, a handsome carrying case and even a little thing that allows other, hearing people to try it out - you have them plug their ears and attach your processor to this little plastic thing - they hold the plastic thing up to their head and they can get a sense of what it's like.  I'm not sure how you're supposed to plug both of your own ears and hold the thing to your head, but since I get to use the real thing, I'm not too worried about it!  How kind of them to throw in a few things - seems the least they can do after you've just spent a zillion bucks on it!  And funny you mention a large chunk of your million going to your divorce lawyers - that's where mine went too!  Like you said, it was worth every penny!!   :D

Lori