Author Topic: Chemo  (Read 2090 times)

Laura

Chemo
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:58:58 am »
Hey everyone, it's been a long time since my last post... sorry :(.

Does anyone know if Chemo will shrink the AN or have any kind of good effects on it?
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Chemo
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:40:27 am »
Hey Laura,

Great to see you again! :)

My understanding is that chemo does not affect/treat AN's.  The ANA office may have further info/studies regarding it, but my understanding, since it's a benign growth, is that chemo is not used for AN treatments. 

Don't be such a stranger!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sam Rush

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:42:59 am »
Chemo is not indicated for AN.  The  AN grows too slowly for chemo to have any effect, and would not be worth the side effects.  They wouldn't be able to localize the treatment like w/ radiation
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Laura

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 12:57:59 pm »
I understand you won't be treated with Chemo for an AN; I guess I didn't ask the question properly. Say if a person were to require Chemo (for Breast Cancer or something of the like), do you think the AN might benefit from the treatment?
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 02:49:24 pm »

Say if a person were to require Chemo (for Breast Cancer or something of the like), do you think the AN might benefit from the treatment?

Apparently not.  Chemo doesn't seem to affect benign tumors. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.