Author Topic: Flu shot and Risk of Facial Paralysis due to Gullian Barre from vaccine  (Read 13028 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Okay. Got flu shot yesterday and had reaction.....swollen eyes, swollen face, fever, muscle aches, coughing nonstop, eyes red, etc.Took Benadryl around the clock and I am fine today other than tired. Then I got to thinking maybe I should look up on the internet to see what other things could happen from this flu shot and got really scared when I read this. It said that some people have a bad reaction from the flu shot and they called it Gullian Barre Syndrome (sorry if I spelled this wrong) It can paralyze your muscles including your face. It said chances of this were small but geez louise......I don't think I'll get another flu vaccine especially since I had an allergic reaction this time and don't need anything that could cause facial paralysis or any paralysis for that matter. What have you guys heard about this and are you going to get your flu shot for those with facial paralysis?
Angie

Cheryl R

Re: Flu shot and Risk of Facial Paralysis due to Gullian Barre from vaccine
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:02:18 pm »
I have asked in the past if it was ok to get the flu shot when I had paralysis.          I was assured it was ok.             It is doubtful that your becoming ill was an allergic reaction.        Some people just do get sick following the shot.         My sister was just telling me about how a friends mother got sick as did 2 others at the nursing home where she lives.                The vaccine might be more prone this year to causing problems immed past getting the shot due to what strains are in it.     As a nurse I have never seen anyone get Gullian Barre from a shot.                  I saw a 13 yr girl when I was a student nurse on a rehab floor after she had had it.                 I know of an older person who had it and was not the worse effect that it can cause.     It does vary in how bad it affects you.                           I know so many things can be a worry.
                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 05:13:58 pm »
Yeah. You can worry yourself to death. I did call the clinic and they thought I may be allergic to the egg that they use for the vaccine. I have a ton of food allergies so I wouldn't doubt it. I couldn't even pick my son up from school yesterday because my eyes were swollen shut. I've never had a reaction before other than typical achy, fever type stuff but never the swollen shut eyes and puffy face which the nurse thought was an allergic reaction so this year will be my last for flu shots. Oh well. Glad to hear that Gullian Barre is very rare from the vaccine. I know they really had problems with this in the 70's due to the type of vaccine being used.
Angie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:07:52 am »
I rarely bother getting a flu inoculation shot because I almost never get the flu.  To be honest, I also don't want to deal with any unpleasant reactions from a preventive inoculation.  However,  I did receive a flu shot 2 years ago (at the hospital while undergoing my FSR treatments) and had no adverse reactions at all.  I think I'll leave well enough alone.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:25:17 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 08:52:37 am »
I do not and have not gotten the flu shot and I have not had the flu for over 15 years, but having said that, doesn't mean it cannot happen.

I do know two people who contracted Guillan Barre, my sister-in-law (had complications of leg weakness, swelling of entire body, one-sided facial paralysis and finally ended up in hospital due to airway paralysis) thankfully her symptoms went away and today she is fine.  A close friend was not so lucky and his paralysis left him unable to walk, but with diligence he regained some use. 

Given this I will take my chances here. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 08:22:34 am »
My brother developed Guillan Barre while he was in the army.  They give them so many vaccines we had no idea what caused it.  He was eventually retired when his symptoms got bad enough but the Army refused to accept responsibility for his disability.  My brother was going to fight for more money but unfortunately died of a heart attack before he had the chance.  I recently had a flu shot because I am scheduled for BAHA surgery next month and didn't want to take the chance of getting the fllu.  Luckily I had no reaction to the shot at all, but had I thought about it more carefully, I would have taken my chances.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 09:03:33 am »
Angie, so sorry about the reaction, glad you're doing better.
I also don't get the flu shot (there's an ingredient in it that I'm allergic to).  My PCP said to 'stay away from crowds' !
Not a problem since I now avoid crowds as much as possible.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis