Author Topic: BAHA - approved - FINALLY !!!  (Read 2219 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
BAHA - approved - FINALLY !!!
« on: January 31, 2008, 05:18:10 pm »
I heard from my insurance company today that they will cover the cost of my BAHA surgery and the BAHA device.  I am SO excited  ;D  I have been anxious to get a BAHA since September when I tried the demo and absolutely loved it.

My doctor's office sent a request for coverage to my insurance company in early October, but they claimed that they never received it.  After the request was sent a second time, the insurance company decided to send it out for review.  For weeks I heard nothing about the review, so I called them and they stated that the information was too general and that they needed my medical records.  They requested them from the doctor's office.  Despite the doctor's office faxing them, the insurance company said they didn't receive them.   So, the doctor's office sent them again.

I was going to wait until tomorrow to call them because I was getting sick of the runaround, but I decided to call today.  I was shocked when they said it would all be covered - after all the hassles, I was thinking they would deny coverage and so I was getting primed for a fight.  Thankfully, to my surprise, they didn't give me any more problems.   

I am hoping to have the surgery in March or April.  Yeah!  Life is good.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: BAHA - approved - FINALLY !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:34:45 pm »
Jan:  That IS great news.    Let me know in a few months how you like it.
        I hadn't wanted one, but after what you wrote, well ...  I may juist change my mind....

Please keep us posted.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Catflower

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 04:38:17 pm »
Great news Jan, but make sure to get that in writing from the insurance company. ;)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 08:47:18 pm »
Nancy -

thanks for the vote of confidence.  I can't wait for the BAHA - I think it will be wonderful and I'm hoping I won't be disappointed.

Catflower, I know exactly what you mean.  After the insurance rep told me that both the surgery and the device would be covered, I couldn't believe my ears (or ear, in my case)  ;D

I asked her to check with the reviewer again and call me back just to make sure.  My neurotologist, who will perform the surgery, told me to wait for the official letter and then schedule the surgery.  Definitely good advice.  Guess he knows too to be cautious when insurance companies make promises LOL

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways