Author Topic: Any new developments for restoring hearing?  (Read 2659 times)

block

Any new developments for restoring hearing?
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:09:26 am »
I had my tumor removed 2 years ago almost to the day. I had a good recovery and aside from having to deal with the upset stomach for about 36 hours I had no problems. The tinnitus in my ear does not bother me although I am well aware that it is there. I knew going into the surgery that my hearing would go away in the effected ear. I was willing to accept that although it is a real problem at times. Has there been any deveopments in the past year or so that might give me hope of ever having any hearing in my bad ear?

FlyersFan68

Re: Any new developments for restoring hearing?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:38:20 am »
I'm glad to hear you had a good recovery. Maybe you can look into the the BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid). I lost hearing too and you do get used to it over time. How is your good ear? Mine is very good so I get by fine. If and when the hearing deteriotates in your good ear you can always get a basic hearing aid. There are folks that are profoundly deaf in both ears and get just one cochlear implant. All you really need for a cochlear implant is one intact hearing nerve. Only those that are profoundly deaf in BOTH ears are CI candidates. If you had middle fossa surgery you would be a candidate for a cochlear implant right off the bat because the hearing nerve is spared in every case but doctors would never implant one because you have good "natural" hearing in the opposite ear. There are possible serious side affects of the CI surgery too. That's not an option. Many people lose hearing in one ear. Some as children like Rob Lowe for example. When asked about it in a interview he stated that he really doesn't give it much thought. It hasn't held him back but he would have loved to experience surround sound stereo  :D. He never had devices implanted because he doesn't feel the need. Some people that are completely deaf have two CI's but there are plenty that have one because it gets the job done not to mention they run about $25k each. One healthy ear will do fine in most cases but there are those times that your reminded. My advice would be to give it a little more time because your brain learns to adapt. It wouldn't hurt to look into the BAHA implant in the near future. I think you'll be fine with or without. The Baha implant feeds off of your good ear. There is much discussion on this forum regarding the BAHA and folks that have it seem to appreciate the difference. Personally, I wouldn't mind trying one out just to see what it's like. Hope this helps.  :) 

block

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »
Thanks FlyersFan....its just a little frustrating at times but I am managing pretty well. "FlyerFan68" weren't the Flyers involved in that mayhem a several years ago that ended up with players  and fans going at each other...prolly about '78 or '79 ?

tony

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 01:59:58 pm »
I would say there are two options ahead
conventional ABI/PABI  which basically adds "hearing" to a deaf side
- existing technology - but hardly 100%
(basically still early days - more noise than sound,
others may agree/disagree)
Then there are the blue-tooth options
- very early days here -
basically what I am saying is : it can only be a matter of time
before a remote "hearing device" transmits by RF to an internal unit
that then connects to the brain
ie hearing - but no wires
I am suggesting that is the way it will go.....
no proof etc - but technology exists
best regards
tony

FlyersFan68

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:45:58 pm »

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 04:37:21 pm »
I LOVE HIM !!!!  Where is HE when I need a good dance partner?
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis