Author Topic: Tinnitus and medication?  (Read 2135 times)

mar50

Tinnitus and medication?
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:34:38 pm »
Hi!  I read Flyersfan's post below about tinnitus and diet and thought I'd pose the same question with respect to medication......has anyone else noticed a change in tinnitus (better or worse) with a change in anti-depressants?

I went on Paxil (20 mg/daily) shortly after my surgery app. 18 months ago, and stopped taking it, with my primary doctor's "permission" about 1 month ago.  Initially my tinnitus (constant hum in my AN ear with intermittent louder humming and chainsaw noises, depending on stress and fatigue) got a lot worse, but i think it has now improved to even a better level than before going off the Paxil.  According to my accupuncurist (who is also an MD), 2-3 weeks after stopping the medication is when my body would be really adjusting. 

When the buzzing gets really bad, I also feel some improvement after taking a couple of Advil.

Anybody else??  I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Martha

tony

Re: Tinnitus and medication?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:58:13 am »
Yes meds for cold that have caffine in them
or maybe painkillers with asprin
seem to increase the "noises"
some "E" additives are said to as well
- but I cant prove that one
Best Regards
Tony

Static

Re: Tinnitus and medication?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 06:48:28 pm »
I just read an interesting article today but I don't remember what magazine it was, I was waiting for my daughter who was getting a haircut.  It stated that botox has been successfully used to treat tinnitus and also headaches.  I want to know when it will be approved by insurance companies and where I can go to get it!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right