Author Topic: baha compared to baha simulator  (Read 4506 times)

Joel

baha compared to baha simulator
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:01:28 am »
How does the performance of an actual implanted baha compare to the "headband simulator"?

I currently have a simulator that is on loan to me.  It is a wire headset type loop that clamps a baha against the deaf side of my head. 

The performance of the simulator isn't very impressive for me.  During various situations I took it off and put it on and it didn't seem to make any significant difference.

The one exception is when I plug my good ear.  At that time I can hear through the baha which is pretty impressive.

The simulator must pass the sound through some hair and skin before getting to the bone.  I assume the actual installation into the bone works better, but I'm hesitant to go forward with it unless others confirm that it does indeed work better than the simulator.

Any comments?

Thanks!
Joel
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 09:25:30 am by Joel »

lori67

Re: baha compared to baha simulator
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 10:17:10 am »
Hey Joel.

I had a problem with the simulator too - mostly because my hair was in the way and the mushy part behind my ear made it hard to keep the headband on.  I did notice a little difference and tried it out while walking around the medical office building, which is usually pretty busy, with my husband speaking to me on my bad side.  It did make a difference.

I had the implant put in a few weeks ago and am waiting for the external processor (January 8th - yay!).  I did notice that the other day when I went to tuck my hair behind my ear on my bad side, I actually heard it.  When I touch the implant or around it, I can hear it.  That seems like a good sign to me, so I'm hoping to really notice a difference once I'm all up and running with it.  I'll definitely let you know what I think then.

I know a lot of people struggle with the choice to get the BAHA or not.  I was fortunate because my insurance covers the whole thing so there was no out of pocket expense for me.  The way I see it, it can't make my hearing any worse, so I might as well give it a shot.  I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had to pay for the thing though!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Richey

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:50:55 pm »
Joel, I asked this same question a while back and did not get too many responses. I had pretty much the same experience that you are having when I tried the simulator. However my ear doc says the baha will work. I have been using a bi-cross hearing aid system for a little over a year and it works pretty good for me without getting a hole drilled in my head. I did however have to pay for the hearing aids and my insurance would have covered the baha. I still wonder if it would be better but so far have not decided to give the go ahead.

1wareagle

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 09:40:40 pm »
Joel,

I do have the BAHA implant and it does help with SSD. It is not perfect but it's better than nothing. I put the BAHA simulator on in the office 1 day before my AN and BAHA surgery. I never got to wear it out in public so I can't answer how they compare. I know that with my good ear plugged, in the doctors office ,it sound the same as my processor now. I was on the phone a lot today at work and I had to cut the BAHA off so I could hear the other person on the phone due to the outside noise that was so loud coming through the processor. One day last week I forgot to wear it to work and I couldn't wait till lunch to go home and get it. The only time I have found a problem with it is in a noisy enviorment like a restaurant. In these cases I just cut it off and try to sit so I can hear the people at the table talking. From reading other post on here, everyone has problems in noisy surrounding no matter what kind of hearing device they have. If I had to do it all over, I would do it again!

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Joel

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:54:59 pm »
Hello all,

I have a consultation with a surgeon tomorrow, so it looks like I'll go ahead with the BAHA.  So far all votes seem to be in favor from those who have had them installed.

I haven't heard anything specific yet on whether the actual unit works better than the simulator though.

Any new inputs on that?

Thanks!
Joel

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 11:09:42 am »
Joel ..

First off .. I do like my BAHA .. and would do it again without hesitation, a couple of points...

I am 43... (not sure of your age) .. if I was 20 and single again .. I would not have it done..(because I would not want to date and have this box on my head)   If I was old and retired, I dont think I would have it done .. as I dont wear it much at home. Its only my wife and I... and if I go work in the yard or fishing I dont want it to get wet ...
 so I dont wear it.  I do sometimes because my wife says the TV is to loud.. I just pop in the BAHA and I have to lower it now because its to loud for me too! and hats are a problem ..

I am very happy with it in the office at work ... and I do miss it if forget it ... between meetings and people talking on both sides.. I find it very helpful...

you wont get a "oh my god its wonderful" feeling .. but its better than nothing... you will still have problems in the noise level is to high...

I am a geek .. its just another toy for me! ... I am not vane about it at all ... I take the train to work and people will look at it trying to figure out what it is.... (I have never seen anyone else wear one outside the ENT office) 1/2 the people have ipods or blue tooth anyways....

people pierce all sorts of things... I have a pierce skull ... how cool is that!

the only BAHA forum that I know of is: http://www.baha-users-support.com/

I just got my BAHA

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori67

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 11:25:29 am »
I think mine is actually smaller than the one in the picture.  Hard to tell.  Maybe they are different models?  Mine is also solid brown with no markings, so it blends in with my hair.  I guess it would be harder if I had short hair, but I think you could cover it up if you wanted.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

1wareagle

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 03:33:52 pm »
My Baha is the same size as Joef's but without the racing stripes. The box that came with it had all the decales in it but I chose not to draw any more attention to it than I have too!  Now, a year later, I could care less. Time and age have a way of helping in the vanity dept.

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

lori67

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 04:43:14 pm »
Hey, mine didn't come with racing stripes!  Maybe they have pink ones for the women?

Having half a face that doesn't work can certainly take your mind off the box snapped to your head too.  So much for vanity!

Lori  :D

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 06:14:57 pm »
Those are one of the decals that came with it ... but I have my eye out for a little "high voltage" or a "Verizon" sticker . 8)  8)

I've also been thinking I could have some fun with it during Halloween .. a knife or arrow end could attach to it...  :o  8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:19:52 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital