Author Topic: Ear Institute of Chicago  (Read 3966 times)

beancounter

Ear Institute of Chicago
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:51:59 am »
Does anyone know anything (good or bad) about The Ear Institute of Chicago?  I am in Western Kentucky and it appears to be the closest option for me (when perusing the list of centers well-versed in AN treatments).  Thanks to any who may be able to advise me.  Best wishes to all.
Newly diagnosed 3x2 mm .... waiting to see what my options are

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Ear Institute of Chicago
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:30:15 pm »
In my opinion, Ear Institute of Chicago (www.chicagoear.com) is excellent.  Dr. Battista is my doc - and I love him.  Not much of a sense of humor, but a great guy who knows his stuff.  He's very experienced in treating ANs and is very caring.  He's wonderful about answering questions and likes to make sure you're completely informed about your options, the possible side-effects of each one, etc.  He spent a lot of time with me at my first visit, where I was still kind of in shock about having an AN.  He knew that my diagnosis was a major thing for me and he was very patient and conscious of the fact that I needed time to "digest" my situation. 

After my initial visit, I talked to Dr. Battista on the phone a couple of times and even scheduled another appointment prior to surgery so I could make sure I'd covered all my bases.  It was important for me to feel that I was well-informed in making my treatment decision and he respected that.  He is also willing to talk to family members if you want him to in order to answer any questions they may have.  I hope to have BAHA surgery with him very soon; I'm waiting for approval from my insurance company.

From what I understand, Dr. Wiet is excellent also.   Both docs have lots of experience with radiation and surgery; I was given the choice, but opted for surgery.  Had retrosigmoid with Battista and Dr. Robert Kazan (neurosurgeon) at Adventist Hinsdale Hospital in Hinsdale, IL on 5/31/07.  Dr. Kazan is a very confident man who put me at ease right away.  He has a reputation of being one of the best neurosurgeons in the Chicago area and I expected him to be arrogant and cocky; I was totally wrong.  He's very down-to-earth, practical, and caring.  I was very comfortable with him.  Hinsdale Hospital has a very good reputation and the nurses were excellent. 

Office staff at the Ear Institute of Chicago is fantastic - handled routine problems/questions, insurance glitches, etc.  I am extremely satisfied with the care I received and would highly recommend them to anyone.

There are two other forum members that I know of who are patients of "chicago ear".  Zjane and Ellenmn - hopefully they'll give you their input. 

If you want to email me with any specific questions, please feel free to do so.

Good luck,

Jan

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 11:01:47 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Ellenmn

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 05:38:16 pm »
Sorry for the delay in my response.
I agree with Jan, Dr. Battista is great. He is very caring and not only makes sure your questions are answered but makes sure that your spouses concerns are taken care of as well.
He came in on a Sunday night to remove my bandage and make sure I was doing ok and then told me what I would need to do to be able to go home quicker.
I should mention that when I had some problems with some insurance issues Dr. Battista call Blue Cross himself to get it straighten out. He will also respond to emails and answer any questions you have.

Dr. Kazan is really good and a very nice man.

All in all I was really happy with the team I had. I would recommend them anytime.

Feel free to email me also if you should have any questions.

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:01:38 pm »
i had my surgery at loyola and my Dr. Dr. Originato was voted in teh Chicago magazine as one of the top neurosurgeons....he is amazing and once checked on President Clinton when he was president...little odd fact, i am sure you already found a doctor but just my viewpoint
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 10:53:06 am »
Hi,

What did you decide to do since your October post?

Kindest Regards,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 12:13:19 pm »
I haven't heard from beancounter in a while; I think she is currently watching and waiting.

I'm hoping to check in with her soon.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways