Post-Treatment > Facial Issues

Why is there no cheek flexibility on the AN side?

(1/4) > >>

marg:
Just wondering, I am about 7 months out post surgery with some facial paralysis and although I can see some improvement - there is no fexibility on the AN side.  I thought it was a bit tight but when I had my teeth cleaned last week.....  the hygenist had some difficulty and I was very sensitive (espeically my lip on that side) it was so tight.  Is this a 'normal' thing to happen as (hopefully) facial paralysis gets better?
     Also, again today ( this happens often) someone asked my if I was getting therapy for the facial paralysis to help it improve faster...... I thought  the faicial nerve is supposed to get better on its own.  Any comments on that?
  Thanks for the info.
Margaret

nancyann:
Hi Margaret:  Tightness in the face never happened to me so it must be a good sign.   People usually begin facial therapy on the face when movement starts - for improvement & to prevent synkenisis.   I never went for it because I never regained any movement.   
You may want to check out a facial therapist for an initial consultation - can't hurt.
So glad to hear you are seeing improvement!!!!    Nancy

lori67:
Hi Margaret.

I've noticed some tightness too, but only since I've started to get some movement back.  It feels like the muscles are finally starting to do something, and after so many months of having no muscle tone at all, it seems like I feel it more than usual.

I've been going to PT for the facial issues and I think it's helping.  It's a good idea to go just as you're getting some movement so you can try to prevent the synkinesis before it starts.  It's hard to correct after the fact.  When I first started going, I had no movement at all so we would just schedule appointments for every 6 weeks or so.  Now that I have some movement, i go about every 3-4 weeks and have exercises to do at home.  We do some biofeedback and I can actually see the graph of the electrical activity in the muscles, so that has been hard proof for me that things are getting better all the time.  Sometimes I feel like I'm just getting used to things and the people telling me I look better are just getting used to seeing me like this.  It also helps you to isolate the muscles that should be exercising, so you don't get the wrong ones working.

I have a hard time at the dentist too.  My hygienist just takes it slowly and lets me rest the muscles every so often.

Lori

pattibobatti:
I just wanted to give you all my input about the facial tightness.  In my case, the tightness iis caused by the muscles over working.  It happens with facial nerve recovery.  The muscles kind of spasm and it hurts.  I think the cold weather makes it worse.

I just had botox injected into the large muscle in my neck (on the AN side) and it has helped so much. 

Patti

er:
I'm dumb but what is the botox suppose to do?
I have had a girlfriend that keeps on asking me why not have the botox.
I just ignore her kind off.
eve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version