Author Topic: Second CSF Leak Surgery--help  (Read 4977 times)

wanderer

Second CSF Leak Surgery--help
« on: March 05, 2005, 12:10:44 am »
Okay I had translab surgery 5 weeks ago.  4 weeks ago I got a CSF leak and was back in for surgery to have it repaired.  Now 5 weeks out from the first surgery I have develped yet another CSF leak.  They say it will be another surgery.

Is this common?   Has anybody else experienced this?   

The surgery doesn't bother me as much as the thought of the moriphine afterwards It makes me so sick.   My first surgery went so well.  the second was horrible,  I was in constant pain and had terrible muscle spasms from the back of my head to the back of my knees.   I'm really afraid of going through that again.

So if anybody has any insight i'd appreciate it.

thanks

wildmouse

Re: Second CSF Leak Surgery--help
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 07:49:42 am »
I got a CSF leak which they fixed with a spinal tap.  It broke back open a second time and they fixed it with surgery and another spinal tap.  It has been almost 3 months with no  more leaks. My dr. tells me he has never seen a person get 3 CSF leaks.  For surgery, they can give you something to prevent the vomiting.  I know cause I had it.  Talk to the anestesiologist before surgery.  Tell them you get extremely ill.  God bless you during your surgery. 
Wildmouse

wanderer

Re: Second CSF Leak Surgery--help
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 12:04:43 pm »
Well between Friday and the following tuesday the Leak apparently closed up mostly.

The doctor I met with said it would take a miracle for it to heal and for me not to need surgery.   But the two doctors called a third to inquire about what to do.   the decision was made on the day of surgery that the incision had not leaked since friday,  until the doctor really worked on it on tuesday.   then it did not leak again by surgery day so they said they would not do the surgery.

So unless it begins leaking again, no more surgery for me right now.  YAY!