Author Topic: Travel on airplane after 7 weeks?  (Read 3858 times)

bpham

Travel on airplane after 7 weeks?
« on: November 05, 2007, 05:20:11 pm »
I'm planning to make a trip to Asia after 7 weeks post-ops (Translab).  With this trip, I can be on the airplane between 12-15 hours.  Has anyone done this before with similar operations, please let me know any issues?

Currently I'm doing fine (just 4 weeks post-ops) and been driving and going to the gym for light workout (treadmills, bicycle, walking outdoor 45-60 minutes a day, going shopping, lunch, dinner, etc..).  The only issue is the hearing in loud places which bothers me somewhat but I've been wearing earplug in those places.

Thanks.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

Victoriah1999

• CM Indy
Re: Travel on airplane after 7 weeks?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 06:15:44 pm »
Get noise cancellation headphones.  They are a marvel.  I'd bring earplugs too, just in case.  :)
I have issues with takeoff and landing, it hurts.  But not everyone does! 
I am jealous you are going to asia!  Lucky you!  :)

bpham

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:14:44 pm »
I've gotten a pair of Seinheiser 300 noise cancellation headphone which prevent most but not all of the noise like the Bose QC3.  If I knew I would have bought the Bose.

How much pain that you got upon landing and taking off? Did it last long?

Going to this trip that I'd planned before I found out about my AN and I want to go before going back to work...

Thanks
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:02:39 pm »
bpham -

I had retrosigmoid on 5/31/07 and flew from Chicago to Denver on 8/1/07.  Flew back to Chicago on 8/10.  I  had no issues whatsoever.  Obviously my plane trips weren't as long as yours will be, but you sound like you're recovering well.  IMO, you shouldn't have any issues.  Docs told me I shouldn't fly for 4 weeks, and you're well past that marker.

Have a great trip,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Victoriah1999

• CM Indy
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 11:04:46 am »
Well, my last trip was so painful all I could do was weep and my husband held my hand and comforted me.  I took Imitrex sub-cu and it helped some...

So, you could keep your meds with you JUST in case.
But since you are recovering so beautifull I sincerely doubt you'll need it!

I hope you don't mind me answering honestly...  I don't mean to make you nervous, truly. 
My thought is "forewarned is forearmed".  Better to have the meds and not need them, right?  :)

OTO

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 05:57:25 pm »
bpham

I flew home (from LA to Hawaii) after surgery (post-op 12 days).  That was a 4-hour flight.   It wasn't a problem for me.  They tell you, DO NOT pinch your nose to pop your ears.   Take a decongestant, such as sudafed, to keep your ears and sinuses open.   I forget what else....  it was on the little piece of paper that House Clinic gives to you post-op... 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 07:44:57 pm »
I had issue with sudden altitude changes (we did a sharp dip over the English Channel heading for landing into London/Heathrow).  Other than that, flight back to the States, no issues.  As long as there was no sudden altitude dip, then I was fine.  Flights were done 8 mos post Cyberknife Radiation.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 10:41:32 pm »
Hi bpham,

I don't have much to say about 15 hour plane rides, I have never liked long flights anyway. But it is great to hear that you are doing so well. If the main issue is whether or not you will enjoy a long plane trip, I'd say you are doing great. I hope your good side hearing issue resolves soon as well.

Bon voyage!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

bpham

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 10:36:41 pm »
Thanks for everyone who has replied.  I'll take all advises given to prepare for the trip.  After the AN surgery, a little bit minor issue with pain is not going to stop me.  I'll plug my ears, chew gums, take some antihistamine, etc... when I'm on the plane.

OTO, good to hear you back and thanks for all of the replies that you sent me before the ops.  For a while your email was not accessible.

Currently I'm doing fine with everything except the hearing sensitivity in the AN side when I'm in noisy places.  The AN ear seems to generate a very loud and painful (sometimes) rushing sound that seems to also sensitize the left face (AN side) as well.  My doctor told me that issue will pass (but did not say how long it would last...anyone know?).

The fullness feeling in the ear still there most of the times.  I'm told by the post-ops booklet from HEI that this is normal (but then again, it does not say how long..anyone knows?).  It seems like there is fluid in there.  I'm getting used to it...

For anyone who is interested in my issue of losing some hearing in the good ear a week ago after 2 weeks post-ops, I'm happy to report that it is better and I believe that it is probably normal again, but I'll confirm that with a haring test next week.  Even if it was not 100% like before, I'm happy to have the hearing level that I have now.  I contribute the recovery to the 10 day of Prednisone treatment.  So anyone who has similar issue, talk to you doctor asap about this before it is not reversible.  This actually was causing me a couple of sleepless nights since I have only one ear left...

Thanks again.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 06:54:11 am »

Bring some eye drops... even if you dont have "dry eye" --- you might after a long trip like that.. and would surely make it a long and painfull trip if you dont
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

bpham

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 11:38:54 am »
Yes, eye drop!! I'm still using everyday even less so (1-2 times a day)...

Thanks.

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 09:40:16 pm »
The noise sensitivity lasted several months for me to the point I carried ear plugs in my pocket. I had it to the severity that too much  noise and my head would spasm. The size of the plane will have an affect on the ear pressure you'll experience. If your ear gets too painful ask the flight attendanct for a cup with a washcloth soaked in hot water. You put the cup to your ear and let the steam filter in. They don't like to do it but will if you whine. They worry you'll spill the hot water and want to sue them like McDonald's.

You'll have to tell us all about your trip when you get back.

M