Author Topic: BAHA info.  (Read 6358 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA info.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 05:48:57 am »
Laz -

it would be great if you could give us your feedback after you've used the trial unit for a few days.

I would be very interested in your thoughts,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 05:11:11 pm »
Jan,

no probs.

i used it last night at home and without the baha, when I blocked my good ear,  could virtually hear nothing, then doing the same but with the baha unit, I could hear - it was a little scary after so long with SSD.

I did think it interfered with my satellite tv reception but sometimes its hard to tell.

Joe, did you find it affected anything?

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 05:31:47 pm »
I dont think it interferes with anything ...

feedback if I lean back to put in eye drops....(it hits my head)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Pembo

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 05:54:28 pm »
No interference here either. I do get the feedback if I lean my head against the couch or something. I usually take it off when I'm at home lounging though.

It was cool to use the trail headband and "hear" again.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 09:18:23 pm »
Thanks Laz, Joe, & Pembo for the input.

When I tried the demo in the doc's office, he had me plug my good ear with my finger and then he talked to me.  I was so amazed that I could hear him!  It brought a huge smile to my face  ;D  It was a great experience after hearing absolutely nothing out of my left ear for over 4 months now. 

I'm very anxious to have the BAHA surgery.  Keep your fingers crossed that my insurance company will pay for it.  If I have to fight them, I may have to enlist Sam & Adrian to help me in my battle LOL

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 04:57:32 pm »
I finished my Baha trial.

I fiund that it did improve my hearing - well, I could hear in my deaf side so that was great. Unfortunately, I couldn't trial it much because it was on a headband which was tight for obvious reasons and it played havoc with my headaches.

I discussed other options with the audiologist who suggested to wait until march 08 when the new digital bi-cross will be released.

That I will do coz I am still nervous about having an op after my last experience.

I must say though, the Baha unit did seem to work so may be a good option for a number of people.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Boppie

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 05:59:38 pm »
Margaret, my insurance company coded the TransEar as an aid that was "medically necessary due to a result of surgery and deafness",  I paid about $300. The insurance paid the remainder.

I read that some people had gotten a pay out based on the prosthetic code.  I don't know which insurance they had.

Juliette

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 07:42:41 pm »
hi !
wondering did anyone from Canada have a BAHA here in the forum. because my insurance wont pay for the surgery and my doctor said that I had to pay for it all. 4000$ taht alot of money!!!! :-\

julie
31 years old
3,2cm x 3 cm AN diagnose in march 2007
translab surgery on 0ctober 17, 2008 in CHUM à montreal
with BAHA

marg

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 11:19:17 pm »
Thanks Boppie,    I will call my insurance co. and ask again (can't hurt to ask).  Anyway,  The TransEar really is helping and even if I have to pay for it... it helps make my teaching job a bit less stressful.
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !