Author Topic: bi-cross  (Read 2980 times)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
bi-cross
« on: October 15, 2007, 12:37:16 am »
Hi all,

Could anyone that has a bi-cross hearing device please let me know what you think of it and any problems with it.

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Richey

Re: bi-cross
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:56:06 pm »
Hey Man,

I have a bi-cross wireless set by Interton that I have had for about a year now. They are a big help with picking up the sounds that I missed on my deaf side. The little things are pretty amazing in the programmable area. The receiver has three programs and the audiologist has a software that can change the programs to suit you best. I paid $2400 for them and guess that varies from place to place and audiologist or doctor.

They biggest drawback is that with the wireless version you have to have full ear molds so you're wearing an aid in both ears. Another drawback is that in certain areas I get interference from AM radio stations. I had my third program fixed so that it goes to mono to use when that happens. If this was the case in too many places It would have kept me from buying them but it doesn't happen that often.

Of course they do nothing for directional hearing.

I guess the best thing that I can say is that I wear them just about all the time.

The worst I can say is that they will never compare to when I had my hearing in both ears, and you still get that feeling of being overwhelmed in noisy places just like now when you have singled sided deafness. The programs can be changed to help that some and I had one that worked better for that for a while and then I had him change it a little and I need to go back and get it changed back but just havn't done that.

I'm sure there are other brands to chose from and of course you can get the wired version and you will eliminate the radio problem. The wire shows a little unless you have enough hair to hide it and you can get a behind the ear model for the sender and not have to have something in that ear all the time.

Hope this helps some, got any specific question just ask

Rich

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 04:38:01 pm »
Cheers Rich,

I understand that a new release is happenning in march '08. They will then be connected via bluetooth and digital (eliminating being a walking am radio station (lol). I also believe that they will be a lot sleeker in design and fit behind the ear with a "wire" going into the ear canal. You still have to wear two of them but at this point I'm not keen on another op and drill into my skull for a Baha.

I might just wait until then.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Richey

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 05:57:04 pm »
That may be a good approach. My ear doctor said that with the way technology is changing that there may be better and better devises out there for us in the future. That is if we can afford them or get the insurance to cover them. My insurance paid nothing on my bi-cross but will pay for the baha. Hard to figure when the baha cost so much more. They told me if they paid for a hearing aid for me they would be opening the door for everyone that wanted or needed hearing aids. I tried to make my case about the cause for the hearing loss but lost the appeal.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Rich

jlamborn

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 08:30:30 pm »
I've got the Phonak Bi-Cros and like them pretty well.  As others have said, one of the drawbacks is if you run around in bi-cros mode (which I do most of the time), you pick up the interference for a second when you enter stores as you pass through their security bars.  I also work with computers and pick up some of the high-frequency noises they make as they boot up for a few seconds until they are totally up.  I don't have molds in the ears, they have just a slim tube that goes down to the small plastic dome that fits just inside the canal.  I forget I have them on most of the time they are so light.  My audiologist gave me 5 modes: default "on" just for the hearing side, bi-cros mode, a secondary bi-cros mode where the good side is toned down a little bit (road noise) to make conversation with people on my right side in the car a little better, mute, and the t-coil mode.  I can't say enough good things about the t-coil mode; this is the mode I go into when I'm paired with my bluetooth neck loop (that is in turn paired to either my phone, or computer.  In fact, I "looped" my living room and bedroom so that I can be anywhere within the loop and ithe tv feeds directly into my hearing aid.  I also have the clipboard portable loop that has a microphone that helps in conversations with people. 
13 mm AN on right side
Dr Isaacson, Dr. Madden,
UT Southwest Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Trans-lab Dec 18, 2006
BAHA implant Oct 2, 2008
BAHA activation Jan 9, 2009