Author Topic: BAHA Club: Sign in here!  (Read 4196 times)

Pembo

BAHA Club: Sign in here!
« on: October 16, 2005, 05:52:46 pm »
I got my implant just 3 weeks ago. I'm looking forward to "hearing" again.  I thought we needed a thread for current BAHA people, future people, etc.......... So sign in here and tell us your BAHA story.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: BAHA Club: Sign in here!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 09:14:53 am »
I got my surgery at the same time of the AN removeal .. and get the sound processer on Nov 17 !!

found a BAHA web site for users ... http://www.baha-users-support.com/cgi-bin/2bb/2bb.cgi
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 12:56:38 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

bluestar

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 04:42:20 pm »
I just came back from Sydney after seeing the surgeon about the BAHA. I had a test with it on the headband and it was great. I am booked in to have the pin put in on 10th November, though the date may change. It is as if I am getting my life back again! I stopped going to meetings, professsional activities as well as social activities. But all those things I couldn't do because of the hearing loss,  I'll be able to do again.
bluestar

marcy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 02:13:24 pm »
Hi,
I had my AN removed 7 months ago and am starting to think about getting the BAHA.  I would be interested in knowing what the procedure was like .  Any information would be great. 

Thanks,
Marcy

FlyersFan68

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 03:56:02 pm »
The BaHa implant has really grabbed my attention these past few months from all the positives but I am balding and have to wear my hair real short so that big adaptor sticking out is the biggest drawback. Maybe in time they will make a smaller unit.

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 06:34:58 pm »
I have been reading more about the BAHA and think that I may be interested in it.  I hear fairly well with the one ear, but I do have some problems in large groups.  I also notice that people can sneak up on me on my deaf side very easily.  To those of you that have the BAHAs, how close to regular hearing are they?  Do they get a lot of static and such?

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 08:32:13 pm »
You should be able to "try" it to see if you like it .. its not natural hearing ... (like a FM radio on a mono station), but its HEARING!! ..  that how I've been adjusting to volume, when the BAHA is louder than a own hearing , I stop, turn it down a spec, then I'm all set. I forget its there ..

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 12:27:56 pm »
The implant surgery was very easy. I only had a slight headache afterwards.  I got "hooked" up after about 6 weeks. The Baha snaps on like a lego.

As Joef said it's not regular hearing but I can hear people talk when they are on my deaf side and it is much easier to follow conversations in group settings.

I'm happy to answer any questions!

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

wanderer

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 03:12:57 pm »
I go monday for my second consult on BAHA,  this time for the divino.    My new insurance covers it so now the decision is do I want it or not.

Boppie

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 10:40:45 pm »
Could somebody describe the procedure for getting the implant work?  Do you need general anesthesia?  How long did it take?  do they shave much hair?  ...the works, please.

Pembo

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 04:46:55 pm »
The implant surgery was quite simple. My doctor does it in the operating room but he said some docs will do it in the office.  I was told I would be awake but I don't remember anything after we got to the OR and started crying from nerves.  The procedure lasted 45 mins and I was home by lunch. Only a very small area was shaved, it wasn't noticable at all. The worst part was the antibiotic ointment in my hair. Baby powder and shampooing with Dawn finally got it all out.  I had mild headaches for about 2-3 weeks. I got hooked up 2 1/2 months later. It snaps on like a Lego and I don't even know it's there.

I fretted about the surgery and having something in my head quite a bit before I had it done. Now I realize it was all for nothing. My dr described the surgery as easier than having your tooth drilled, he was right.

If you have any more questions, just ask away.

Boppie

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 06:56:24 pm »
So, what kind of anesthesia was it?  Did they drill something in the skull?  Did the doc describe any risks?  Was your scalp numbed or your whole skull?  Did you have an inhalent anesthetic?  What intensity of headache and what was the drug you had to use for pain, if any?

See?  I am curious but scared too!  Thanks for allowing me to be so inquisitive. 

Pembo

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 10:59:22 am »
I think they just put me in a twilight sleep with some of those forget meds. I came out of it quick.  Risks...he didn't really say other than the basic ones of surgery and infection of the site.  My scalp doesn't have full feeling back from the AN surgery and I noticed a little more numbness after surgery but it's gone now. My headache was a dull ache that I managed with Extra Strength, otc, Tylenol. Only the day of surgery did I want something stronger but I took Tylenol and Advil in shifts and it worked.

Have you been on the Baha website? It really wasn't that bad and I was very nervous and scared too. Now I look back and think that was really nothing. :)