Author Topic: Surgery date Sept. 14th in San Antonio, TX  (Read 3786 times)

Clifton

Surgery date Sept. 14th in San Antonio, TX
« on: August 22, 2007, 01:05:34 pm »
hey guys,

I got my date this morning and its Sept. 14th here in San Antonio, Tx by Dr. Perry *neurotologist* and Dr. Bogaev *neurologist*.
They do more AN's than anyone else in texas.
They are taking the Trans-Lab approach so i will definitly lose hearing in the right side but they both felt confident that my face will not be disturbed. He said he's never had facial disturbance with this approach which is relieving.

As of the last few days its becoming even MORE difficult to focus on anything at work. Im not productive at all.
I sell Toyotas at a very high volume dealership and they have been very understanding about everything but being here is just irritating me and im contemplating putting my leave in early. But im not sure if thats such a good idea giving my financial circumstances.
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Surgery date Sept. 14th in San Antonio, TX
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:19:21 pm »
Good luck!!!

I would "stick it out" until the surgery .. and take the extra time off after the surgery .....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 02:09:45 pm »
Clifton, unless you have physical symptoms that prevent you from being at work, it is better to stay very busy.  Work is a stress reliever.  Taking off from work would require some other busy use of your waiting time.  It is good that your employer is understanding.  Hang on there.  Some of us have cleaned house, organized storage areas, worked on collections, hobbies, and files to keep busy.

I will be thinking about you!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »
Hi, Clifton:

Congratulations on selecting an experienced surgical team you feel good about - and having a definite date for surgery. 

I'm sorry you'll lose hearing in one ear but that is very common with AN patients, regardless of the treatment, including radiation.

Staying busy is always a good idea.  While thinking about your upcoming surgery is certainly going to be a distraction, selling cars (never easy) should also focus your mind on other matters at hand.  I agree with other posters that you'll need plenty of time to recuperate following the surgery and that leaving your job almost a month early early is not a viable option for you.   Think that one over again.

Here's hoping you make solid decisions and have a splendid outcome to your surgery.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ConnieJ

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 04:51:54 pm »
HI Clifton,
I know exactly what you are going through,I have my surgery on Sept 5th ( also the trans-lab) I have no concentration at all at work. They have been very understanding as well, but its frustrating to me to not be at my best. I have thought about taking leave early to but I can't financially either, so I figure if they are going to be understanding I might as well be there and do what I can. I just want it to be over. If one more person tells me to not be scared.. I think I might scream, easy for them to say, they have no idea what I am thinking or feeling. Hang in there Clifton, and remember we all understand what your going through.

Connip

Clifton

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 02:00:28 pm »
I just want it to be over. If one more person tells me to not be scared.. I think I might scream, easy for them to say, they have no idea what I am thinking or feeling.
Connip

wow...i couldn't have said it better myself. Im here because i have to be, not because i'd like to be, and as many of you have pointed out its probably better to be here doing what i can than at home doing nothing.
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

neal r. lyons

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 03:44:18 pm »
The waiting game is tough-no doubt about it.  Having a surgery date is really a plus! 

Focusing your attention on anything else at this point can also be a plus.  So activity is good.

Best wishes to Clifton and Connie- Neal
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 09:22:57 pm »
Clifton -

I agree with the others.  Try to continue working prior to surgery, because even with the best possible outcome, you will definitely need to take time off post op.  Even though my surgeons tried to tell me how tired I'd be, I totally underestimated the amount of time I'd need to get back to "normal".  Waiting can be hard but your surgery date will be here before you know it.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery; you, too, Connie.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways