Author Topic: Has anyone tried a CIC (Completely in Canal) hearing aid?  (Read 3234 times)

Featofclay

• February, 2011
Has anyone tried a CIC (Completely in Canal) hearing aid?
« on: August 08, 2007, 03:13:41 pm »
Today I saw an audiologist to have impressions made to try TransEar.  She had just returned from some hearing conference and had talked with several others there.  She asked me if I knew what TransEar looked like and I said yes.  She said she thought I would be happier with something smaller and not as obvious as the TransEar.

She suggested she make the impression and order a small CIC hearing aid.  It should be here in two weeks.  This is not like anything I have read anywhere on this forum but could have just missed it.

My question is if anyone on this board has tried the CIC?  Will it work with SSD? 
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

Cynaburst

Re: Has anyone tried a CIC (Completely in Canal) hearing aid?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:19:54 pm »
I tried a CIC hearing aid several years ago and it didn't help me at all so I gave it back.  I have done without an aid until now.  I ordered a Transear a couple of weeks ago and have been wearing it for 2 weeks.  It helps me alot more than the CIC did.  It is not perfect, and the help is subtle, but I find it to be more comfortable and more helpful.  I have been able to have short telephone conversations with my deaf side and I have understood whispers in restaurants in my bad ear.   Also, it is not that obvious looking.  I have long hair, so in my case you can't see it at all, but even with my hair in a ponytail it is not that ugly.  I expected much worse.

NF-2er

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 01:07:04 pm »
Hi Featofclay;

If by "SSD", you are referring to Single Sided Deafness, a CIC will be of no value probablly as is typically worn by those with mild hearling loss bilaterally, or unilaterally. SSD is also common for Social Security Disability, so I wasn't exactly sure.
   Isn't Transear designed for single side deafness?
   Re, Simple-Cros HA's vs, BAHA, it seems a worthy pursut to check into BAHA. Of course, not every SSD person is a candidate for BAHA, but I think most are.
   Maybe try a Simple-Cros just to see how well you like it. I hated mine but have read of those who like them. if there weren't some who did, there would be no market.
   Best wishes to you!

NF-2er

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 07:37:30 pm »
Thanks for your response to my question and yes, I did mean Single Sided Deafness.  The hearing aid has not come in yet but I went to the audiologist to get her to make the impressions for the TransEar and she suggested we try this other CIC first.  Will post on this forum after I try it. 
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results