Author Topic: Use of term "FSR" as it's been a little confusing.....  (Read 2558 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Use of term "FSR" as it's been a little confusing.....
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:06:55 am »
Hi all,

Many times, in email and in posts, people may refer to "I'm having FSR"... yet, for me, I have to sit back and try to figure which form of "FSR" is being used.... so, hoping this clarifies.

FSR stands for "Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation/Radiosurgery".  "Fractionated" notes that the treatments are broken up over a number of days (maybe 3 days, 5 days, 25-30 days, etc).  This can be applied to many radio protocols being used today, such as the Novalis technology (usually fractionated in 25-30 days and it seems, when most reference "FSR", they seem to mean this particular type of technology), Cyberknife Machine (sometimes 3-5 days), Trilogy, etc.

There are AN treatment technologies that are also used in 1 day, such as GammaKnife and yes, on occassion, Cyberknife (primarily for meningiomas and such).  If a 1 day dose is done, it is not "fractionated'.

Mark did a really great post in this thread, in which his item/bullet point #1 also notes this.  FYI for reference:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3822.0

"1) Fractionated vs. One dose - The theory with doing the treatment in fractions is that it is less toxic on the healthy tissue by giving it time to recover between treatments as opposed to the abnormal DNA of the tumor which is unable to do so.There is not long term studies on FSR results as opposed to the one dose, but the preliminary studies that are typically in the 5-7 year range do show improved hearing and facial nerve preservation results compared to one dose with comparable tumor control. So either protocol choice is reasonable with perhaps slightly better preservation odds with FSR."

So, for me, bear with me if I get confused if someone notes "FSR".. there are many AN treatment options that are fractionated and we have to decifer which treatment protocol is being referenced.

I didn't have enough coffee yet today... I hope this sounded ok....

thanks.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

NF-2er

Re: Use of term "FSR" as it's been a little confusing.....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 06:15:36 pm »
Hi;

I believe "one sitting", "one day" types of radiological procedures involve more thean "one dose".   - NF-2er

mema

Re: Use of term "FSR" as it's been a little confusing.....
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:06:24 pm »
Phyl,                                                                                                                                                                                         

You did a pretty good job describing what FSR is. Just wanted to add this.   I know I had FSR on the Novalis machine.  I think the difference comes into play with the machines they use like Novalis vs. linear.  Each might be  promoting their machine as the best, but its up to the patinet to decipher which is better for them.  There are slight differences like the novalis is better for uneven shaped tumors but with  1-2mm acuracy.  Whereas the linear has a better acuracy.                                                                                     

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.