General Category > AN Issues

AN in DC

(1/3) > >>

Bobtheheadcase:
Hi. I'm a 57 year old male and I found out a few days ago of my 1.5cm AN.
So much to learn about these things! Radiation? Surgery? What kind of surgery? Gee!
What happens if you meet with a radiation doctor and he or she says, "radiation is the way to go." And then you meet a surgeon who says, "surgery is what I recommend." How do you make this decision? I understand the value of research but what if it's basically a wash? Couldn't I find twenty doctors that recommend radiation and twenty that say surgery? Don't you just end up paying yer money and taking yer chances? OK, breathe, breathe.

So how did you all make the decision? What made you lean one way or the other?

I meet with surgeon #1 next Thursday in D.C.
bob

Sue:
Hi Bob,

I see you have found out already that there are hard decisions to be made and that the medical community doesn't always make it any easier for us!

I guess what you do is to talk to some very  experienced doctors...surgeons and radiosurgeons and then decide what "feels" right for you.  Some people just aren't at all comfortable knowing there is something growing inside their head and will opt for surgery.( Kind of the "Out, out damn spot." theory!) Some people aren't too keen on microsurgery and having somebody digging inside their head and will decide that the least invasive procedure is the way to go.  There are pro's and con's with both treatments.  So you can get a sheet of paper and physically do that...Pro's on one side and Con's on the other and have one page for Microsurgery and one for Radiosurgery and start writing down your research and then draw your own conclusions from that. Sometimes it's nothing more than a "gut" feeling about which treatment feels right for your particular situation. 

Of course, I didn't do any of that!  ;)   My first neurosurgeon shuffled me off to his associate who recommended radiation and I said..."Oh, you don't have to do surgery? Oh, thank God."  And that was what I was happy with. 

Whatever you decide, and especially if you decide on microsurgery, make sure your team is very, very experienced.  That seems to be what everyone recommends...you want surgeons who do a considerable number of AN's, which will help to ensure the best possible outcome.

Welcome to the forum.  Best wishes for your eventual treatment and recovery.

Sue in Vancouver WA  USA

sloxana:
Hi Bob
I found out in July that I had an AN the same size as yours.  I am still researching all my options and trying to figure out the treatment that will be best for me.  Slowly, but surely, like everyone on this board says, one treatment is starting to feel "right" for me.  So, just take your time....most AN's are extremely slow growing and you have time to make your decision.  Don't let anyone rush you into making a treatment choice that does not seem the best thing for you to do. 

Another thing that helped me was just logging onto this board every day and reading what the "experienced" posters have to say.  There are some amazing people (to me, they are my "heroes) that have paved the way for you by researching and experiencing firsthand microsurgery and radiosurgery and watching & waiting.  You can learn a lot from these people.  I know I have!

Good luck to you!
Susan

TP:
Size usually determines which procedure and side effects may speed up your descision. I think you have some time to do research and interview Dr's in your area and possibly outside your area if you are able.  I had to make a quick decision and went with surgery due to the size as well as the location of the tumor. We have many folks in this forum who are in wait and watch method and they have to deal with issues on a daily basis. So it does depend on what you feel is the right thing to do - but you said it, breathe, breathe, this tumor is slow growing and you are going to be ok and more importantly you are in our prayers! 

hendi51:
Bob, glad you found the site, sorry about the AN. My husband has decided to do the surgery. He has some pretty severe symptoms. He has lost the hearing in his left ear, everything bounces at all times, sometimes so bad all he can do is lay down and close his eyes so he can't see anything. After a couple hours things calm down some. He staggers like a drunk person. The reason he chose surgery is because he believes he will get relief from his symptoms faster. He has gone over the options many times and this is his choice. We should know when tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version