Author Topic: Salty Taste  (Read 3545 times)

DetSgt224

Salty Taste
« on: August 26, 2005, 09:31:47 pm »
I've started noticing a mild salty taste in my mouth since surgery (June 7th).  Does it sound familiar to anyone?  Has anyone had a similar occurrance?

David707

Re: Salty Taste
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 10:50:30 pm »
Since the surgery in Jan'05, I have noticed a mild sweet taste in my mouth from time to time. 

My doctor said that the sensory nerve might have been damaged during the surgery.  It is not too  bad a taste, so I don't think too much about it.  With evrything else has been so perferct, I am just greatful.

David
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

luv2teachsped

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 11:43:27 pm »
just be careful.  You might want to tell your Dr.As they say salty taste can mean a CSF leak, where as the slightly sweet or metallic is usually due to sensory damage.I would call your Dr. to be on the safe side.luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Frying2Knights

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 06:21:42 am »
Absolutely agree with luv2 - you must tell your doc right now if you have a salty taste.  I know from personal experience this could be a CSF leak

Best wishes
UK.  1cm AN removed by Translab approach. CSF leak.  Severe headaches.

DetSgt224

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 05:43:23 am »
Ok I called the doc and his nurse told me there is another nerve that runs parallel to the facial nerve that could be "waking up" and causing this taste in my mouth.  I mentioned the CSF leak possibility and she didn't think that was the issue.  I'll keep my tongue on it  ;D but it sure feels better having called.  Thanks for your advice.

sonshine

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 07:22:26 pm »
DetSgt224,

I have had surgery twice and both times had the salty taste.  It goes away over time, for me I'm guessing anywhere from 3 to 6 months after surgery.  Actually to me it kinda tasted like the salt on McDonald's fries and I didn't mind it too much. :)  Though it didn't help the taste if I had anything sweet to eat.  I have never had a CSF leak but it is good to know in case.

Sonshine