General Category > Hearing Issues

At least some hearing is better than none

(1/2) > >>

Boppie:
I have read some comments and questions about which is better ...choosing a treatment that preserves hearing (if possible), or severing poor hearing.  In my opinion, one should opt for preservation of some hearing.  I agree that word recognition can be very poor but some sound is better than no sound in the affected ear.   At least direction finding is aided with sound.  Doctors will always make facial nerve preservation a priority. 

SSD might result, however,  A lot depends on the positon, size or tumor, patient health, and age.  But, when given a choice, hold out for some hearing.

sgerrard:
Thanks, Boppie. I have a bit of hearing loss in my non-AN side, as well as some in my AN side, and I feel like I want to hang on to everything I can. Although my weak ear is already fairly weak, I certainly notice the difference it makes if I hold it closed for a moment. Now all I need to know is how best to hang onto it...

Steve

Brendalu:
Boppie,
I couldn't agree more.  My doctors were so fixated on preserving facial nerves that they felt hearing was less important!  I would rather have hearing!  After two years, the things they were saving are going South.  My eye drops, my face twitches and sags on the my AN side.  Doctors, get your priorities straight!
Brendalu

jtd71465:
Very interesting.  I have some hearing (32% speak recognition) and no facial issues.  Would I trade my facial functions for all my hearing at this point, based on our society I would so no.  No one knows that I had surgery 7 months ago...except for an occasional "what"?  When I was in the consulting phase of my AN, all doctors would tell me that I didn't want and facial nerve issues....I don't, and based on true stories on the forum which I have read I would bet those individuals would trade their hearing for full facial nerve function.

Don't get me wrong, it would have been great to have walked away with both...but as the shirt says..."life is good"

Joe-

nancyann:
Gotta agree with you there Joe - I can deal with the SSD - it's mildly annoying when someone calls my name & I turn the wrong way, or can't understand what anyone is saying in a crowd compared to all the issues facial paralysis brings.  I don't mean to minimize SSD, but given the choice ....  unfortunately I have both & believe me, this facial paralysis is a real bummer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version