Post-Treatment > Facial Issues

eyelid spring

(1/2) > >>

gms:
Has anyone out there had the eyelid spring, due to facial weakness, following AN surgery?  I had AN 2.5cm removed July 20, 2004 and had facial paralysis on my left side immediately following surgery.  The week following my AN removal (translab),  the doctors suggested I consider having the spring placed in my eylid since I was unable to close my left eye.  I had the spring placed, and after several months, I noticed some movement to my left side so I consulted my Doctor who placed the spring and felt like I was getting some movement to my eye ( other than the movement the spring created-closure of my eye when I blinked), and I did have the spring removed one year after it was placed.  After it was removed, I was able to close my eye again, but my blink is slower than my right eye and my eye is also smaller than my good eye, I believe because of all the trauma my eye had during the initial spring placement (3 hour surgery).  The Doctor who placed the spring was not the physician who removed it.  I am a nurse and was familiar with an Occuloplastic Surgeon and he removed the spring  and commented on why a Gold Weight wasn't tried first instead of putting my eye through so much .  The Doctors who removed my AN said they felt confident I would gain movement back to my face in time, and I have, but why put someone through so much, and let the nerve regenerate before doing something drastic like I DID. I was so desperate to look better after dealing with the weakness following AN surgery , that it seemed like the right thing at the time.  I flew home with deafness, which I accepted, and also with a black and blue and very swollen eye (from the spring placement).  I wish I would have waited to see what my eye would have done on its own.  I've regained my blink and now have to deal with an "eye that is smaller than the other one" as my six year old says.  Very frustrated, I have regrets, but am greatful and blessed with a wonderful family and lots of support.

nancyann:
Hi gms - I don't think the spring would have made your eye look smaller - I wonder if it's the decreased muscle in that area of your face while your face was weak that's making it look smaller?  I'd be curious, given time & the muscle builds back up, that your eye starts to look 'normal' again.  Do you know if you had any other work done on that eye - like a partial tarsorrhaphy?  I'm sorry this happened to you, but so glad for you that you got your 'blink' back.  You're right,  very frustrating.
Take care,  Nancy

pattibobatti:
Goodmorning GMS,

I had the eye problems and paralysis after my AN surgery too.  For me and lots of others, the eye that is paralyzed will become larger than the other one.  The muscles are so lax under the eye and the lower lid pulls down. I am wondering too if you might have had a few stitches put in the corner of your eye to help with the dry eye problems at the time. Surely, the Dr. can tell you.

Let us know!
Pattibobatti

CROOKEDSMILE:
I HAD THE PLATINUM EYELID WEIGHT PUT IN AND HAVE PRETTY BAD PTOSIS (DROOPY EYELID). THE DOCTOR SAID THAT THIS IS DUE TO LEVATOR (EYELID) FATIGUE AND THE LID WILL GET STRONGER WITH TIME AND WON'T DROOP. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS AFTER THE WEIGHT WAS PUT IN AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR THE LID TO GAIN STRENGHT?

nancyann:
I don't have that problem, but I'm wondering if your weight is too heavy??    Did the docs put an external weight on the lid 1st to see what the best
weight for you is??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version