General Category > AN Issues

Brain fog....from age? or AN?

(1/3) > >>

Betsy:
Hi folks,

In the years leading up to my diagnosis, I noticed that my brain was starting to work differently.  Nothing dramatic, but I seem to have lost some mental agility.  My thoughts feel sluggish and it takes me longer to process new informaton.  Is that the same as the brain fog some of you have mentioned?

I've mentioned this to some of the doctors I've seen and no one was able to tell me if it's AN related, or if should I chalk it up to getting closer to 50.  Other than my AN, I'm pretty healthy and there's no indication that there's anything else going on that would affect my brain function.  For those of you who have felt this way, did it get better after you were treated?

I can deal with the unsteadiness and the tinnitus, and I can even handle SSD if that comes.  But this brain fog...or whatever it is....is ruining my career, my social life, and my confidence.  I keep thinking of "Flowers for Algernon" when Charlie realizes that his intelligence is only temporary.  Is there any hope?

Betsy

Sue:
Hi Betsy,

I think that some of our symptoms can be attributed to our AN and also other things going on with us.  Brain Fog can also be attributed to menopausal issues as well.  I certainly have had my troubles with memory and clarity of thinking  in the last 10 years or so and I assumed it was associated with menopause, but that was before I knew I was growing my very own AN!  So...perhaps it's a combination of both.  I was not keen on taking hormone pills because my mother died from breast cancer, so I've just lived with it. But I don't have a  career to maintain.

I'm not sure who you should ask about this, but this is very real and there must be something you can do to help bring back some of your mental energy.

Encouragingly,

Sue in Vancouver WA USA

Omaschwannoma:
Hi,

Here is a link (I hope it works, if not block & copy) that will explain what you are experiencing.  I did not have this BT (before tumor), but sure did after and I continue to struggle with this today--only not as bad.  HOpe this helps. 

http://www.backgroundfacts.com/menieres/COGDIS.htm

Brendalu:
Arushi,
Thanks for the link.  I printed it out for my care providers and it seems to be pointing them in a different direction.................maybe now they will understand where I am and where I've been.

Brendalu

Omaschwannoma:
Brenda,

I emailed this article to family and friends so they too can understand more why I do what I do sometimes.  My hubby got alot out of this and now understands why it takes me so long to read what he wants me to "just sign."  I ask him to "Wait!" when reading is required during a movie we watch at home. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version