General Category > AN Issues

Anyone out there from Houston?

(1/1)

susier:
I am desperately seeking info on doctors and treatment facilities in Houston, TX.  I have an appt next week with an ENT downtown at Memorial Hermann, but not sure that surgery is the way I want to go.  Would be interested in talking with anyone who has been treated in the Houston area.

Brendalu:
Susier,

I was treated at Clear Lake Regional Medical Center in 2005.  I won't recommend my team or that facility.........not enough experience and that hospital is filthy dirty!  The ICU nurses were great but that is where it ended.  Boppie was treated in Houston as were a few others and they had really great experiences and doctors.  I don't know much about Memorial Hermann, but I do know that Methodist is great.  I would definately get more than one opinion and read as much as you possibly can on this forum.  Everyone helps and has experience in one way or another.  I live in d***inson.  If you need to talk to someone, or need a sounding board or a shoulder to cry on...........I'm here.  Just let me know. 
You have come to the right place to get the information you need to make the right choices for you.
Brendalu

susier:
Thanks for the reply.  I am from the Clear Lake Area as well and have never liked Clear Lake Hospital.  I see your ENT was Chester Strunk...He is my daughter's ENT and did surgery on her broken nose several years ago.  I had considered going to see him for this, so I am thankful for your remarks.  Was your surgery a success?  Also, do you know of any radiation treatment facilities locally?  There is a sattelite clinic of MD Anderson in Nassau Bay, but when I called to ask if they treated AN there, the woman who answered didn't know what I was talking about.  Kinda gave me a bad feeling.  She said that I could make an appt but would need a referral.  I do know that MD Anderson treats AN as they sent me an email with information on their skull base tumor progam.  Would appreciate any input that you might have.
Thanks again.

Boppie:
Susie, look up the ENT and Otolaryngylogy departments at the Baylor clinics on Fannin.  There are internet references to doctors and departments for radiology treatment, I have read them.  I had my An removed at Methodist.  My doctor would have used radiation on any tumor remains he might have had to leave.  He would have sent me to his associates right there at Methodist for this.  Luckily I didn't need this adjunct treatment, but it was available to me.

No way, would I elect to have AN treatment in Clear Lake.  The facilities and experience are just not there.

Brendalu:
Small world isn't it?  I absolutely loved Chester Strunk.  The neurosurgeon was Peyman Pakziban.  Both were great doctors, but I wish that I had had a second opinon and had really investigated.  I may have been a wait and watcher.  I was scared and figured that what they said made sense.  I had no idea what kind of surgery I had or the size of my tumor or really anything about it.  Both doctors are in denial as far as my recovery has been.  I am not the norm for them.  I still after almost two years have no balance, I have migraines that I never had before the surgery and very severe depression.  The team hadn't dealt with any of that before.
I also didn't have the right questions to ask.  I was positive I was going to die during surgery and didn't think beyond that.  I am thankful I am still here, but I would really think hard about giving up perfect hearing (which I had prior to surgery).  I would say to see Dr. Strunk and see what he has to say.  Ask about your options.  I wish that I had been firmer in my decision to not go to Clear Lake when they said that is where they wanted to do the surgery.  I couldn't give them a real reason why I didn't want that hospital.  I can now.  Let me know what you decide. 
Brendalu

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version