General Category > AN Issues

Anyone have ear infection lead to AN diagnosis?

(1/3) > >>

tripsplus6:
Just wondering if an ear infection led to the diagnosis in any of you?  Not that I did not have symptoms before with some vertigo and tinnitus, but I had the sudden onset of an ear infection, and I have never ever had an ear infection in my life that I remember!  Suddenly there was pressure, pain, horrible loud noises, diminished hearing, and then fever.  While the antibiotics got rid of the infection, the other symptoms remained, and now I am on steroid nasal spray trying to reduce the pressure inside so the tests will be more accurate.  Symptoms have lessened, but still feel the fullness, pressure, tinnitus, diminished hearing.  In addition it now feels numb on that side of my face, not totally, I can still feel pretty well, but just a weird numb-like feeling on ear and face.  My ENT doesnt know about that as it is new.  Well, just wondering while waiting for all these tests.  Thanks.        Terri

Pablo:
In my case, 12 years ago I was diagnosed of an ear infection, then when the problem didn't respond to antibiotic, they sent me for hearing test, they've discovered neurosensorial hearing loss, treated with steroids, hearing improved to 75% of hearing loss. 2 years ago the same thing only that this time I went for a second opinion, they sent me to MRI and discovered the 2.5x2.3x2.8 AN.

Samantha n Adrian:
Pretty much the same exact thing for Adrian that happened with Pablo.
* First he felt pressure in ear and had ringing. Thought it was an ear infection. Went and got antibiotics
* Pressure got worse. Went back and got ear drops and steriods
* Dizziness and ringing gets worse, went back and had a hole drilled into ear drum to hopefully drain fluid, also received CAT scan. Came back clean
* Vertigo gets out of control as well as facial numbness starts to occur. Sent for MRI w/contrast since Doc suspects MS
All of this was in the span of around 9 months. MRI came back with a 4cm AN.

I wonder how big it was when symptoms first started to occur??? They say it grows slowly... so has he had this his whole life and it just now decided to inflict it's wrath ???

tripsplus6:
Samantha and Adrian,
   Thanks for replying (Pablo too) and let me say I am "so" glad to hear you are going to House in LA and out of FL.  Just have too many personal family horror stories with FL medical, even though we are UF grads and avid Gator fans.  Long story, and we now live in OH (horror stories here too).  Anyway, with these tumors being so slow-growing, the body has time to compensate, thus can be fairly asymptomatic until quite large.  Adrian's infection probably led to a sudden inflammation and swelling of an already huge mass, thus all those symptoms.  Still, I'm surprised that a CT did not pick up a 4cm tumor!  Maybe it was done without contrast, or maybe the field it visualized did not include that area of his head?  Or, as a dr once told us, "those things (ct's) are only as good as the people reading them."  Another personal nightmare long story.
    We will all continue to follow Adrian's progress and hope he is soon on the road to good recovery.  Being young, strong, and excellent drs should all work in his favor.  Can he still work out at the gym and run these days, or does it bother him now? 
   Thanks again for the replies and best of luck.           Terri

Jackie:
Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed in February 2007 with a 9x11 AN, and had 6 months prior been diagnosed with "Swimmer's ear" and treated with ear drops for that. The pain subsided, but the "fullness" continued. Life was so hectic, I lived with the fullness for several months until I recognized a real significant difference in my hearing on the right side, where the infected ear was. After the holidays I decided I needed to find out why my hearing loss. I made an appt. with  an ENT with Kaiser, had a hearing test first, got diagnosed with SSD, and an MRI was scheduled two weeks later to rule out a tumor! Unfortunately the tumor was in fact there but small enough to give me time to research options! My ENT suggested "watch and wait" I just completed another MRI as it is just shy of 6 months and there has been no change! Fabulous news for sure as I continue to research and hope for miracles for all of us! I have 60% hearing loss, Tinnitis, which is manageable, and that's it so far! I read all of your posts daily, and feel that I am getting to know all of you! While I don't contribute often, you are all in my prayers and hope if the symposium is in the Pacific NW I'll get to meet all of you then! In the mean time Bless you all and may your recoveries be better than you expect!

Jackie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version