Author Topic: just finished my ck - yeah!  (Read 3464 times)

DebbieL

just finished my ck - yeah!
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:39:51 pm »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.  I finished by 3 days of ck at standford this morning.  All went well and I didn't even need the happy pills.  I was glad when it was finished though.  I brought my own cd's like some of you had mentioned that you did which workded our real nice.  The doctors were all wonderful and very patient with getting the mask on to fit just right before they started.  I didn't feel too good last night but am better today.  Hopefully now it will begin to die.  I guess I won't know anything until the MRI at 6 months.  Should I expect any problems to come along due to the radiation?  What kind of things do I watch for?
So glad I found you all!  You've been a great help throughout this process.  Thanks!!

Mark

Re: just finished my ck - yeah!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:04:02 pm »
Debbie,

Congrats on completing your CK treatment at Stanford. Did you go to the California Cafe for lunch and a celebratory glass of wine afterwards? The treatment is only successful if you do that, just kidding  ;D

Good luck with your MRI in 6 months

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:10:02 pm »
Yay, way to go!

Hi Postie Debbie,

Now that your done with that business, what lies ahead, you ask? A lot of thumb twiddling while you wait for an MRI at 6 months, and maybe a little bout of swelling. Whether you experience that, and how much, varies all over the place, so no one can really say. Mine was a week or two long, and I just took a lot of Ibuprofen. Some people also feel fatigue for a while, also varying quite a bit.

I would suggest you relax, get back to normal life, and take whatever comes along in stride as best you can. No sense in worrying about it before hand.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:38:11 pm »
Debbie -

I didn't have CK, so I can't really tell you what to expect.  I'll leave that up to Steve and others who have been there before you.

I just wanted to say congratulations and tell you that I hope your AN is on the way to dying a slow, uneventful death.

Keeping my fingers crossed on your behalf,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

DebbieL

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 12:07:03 am »
I never got to have the wine at the cafe.  I wanted to get back before the Bay Bridge traffic started up.  However, I do plan on going out this week to celebrate.  I will relax and only do what I can at the time.  I'll definietely be watching how my body reacts to the radiation.  I'm now anxious for the 6 months to pass to see if it's dying.  Thanks for all your imput.  It means a lot to me.  You guys are great!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:09:02 am »
Debbie,

Let me "ditto" Jan's words in that I did not have CK, but microsurgery.  I would like to let you know I am glad your treatment is finished and hope you have shrinking every day from here on out!  May you have continued healing with every day bringing you strength and good health!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:53:21 pm »
Congrats on your CK treatments!  I hope they work for you as they have for others!  I cannot speak as to what to expect, like Jan et al, since I had surgery a few months ago but I pray for success for you!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 05:46:41 am »
Hi Debbie... just sending along my congrats for completing CK, you postie! :)  Onward and upward to brain booger death!  Continued wellness wishes to you!

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pauline

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 10:53:32 am »
Debbie - I played Chopin's Funeral March on the piano for your AN today!  Congrads on your CK!!!  Look forward to reading about "life after CK"!
Pianist & Piano Teacher
Diagnosed 6/27/08
Watch and Wait

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 02:44:08 pm »
Hi, Debbi:

Just wanted to add my congratulations on your completed CyberKnife treatments.  I didn't undergo that particular form of radiation (I had FSR) but I can tell you that looking at my MRI and seeing a big dark spot on what was left of my AN after surgery, then having my neurosurgeon say that it shows "definite evidence of necrosis" is a wonderful feeling!  I hope and pray you'll be hearing those same words, soon.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.