Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Questions for Initial Consultation

(1/2) > >>

Marie in CA:
Hi all,

I'm newly diagnosed and am exploring options.  42 yo with a left side AN.  I had an abrupt change in hearing last December which led to catching my AN early.  The hearing problems are progressing and I'm not in the wait and see camp.  At 7mm I am told I am a good candidate for radiation, so that is the way I am leaning. I have an upcoming initial consultation with Dr. Gibbs at Stanford and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of questions to ask during the consultation.  Basically, questions you did ask, or questions in hindsight you wish you had asked.

I basically floundering a bit in the new influx of data and would appreciate any nudges at all.

Marie

gordy:
hey  marie i just had gamma knife on thursday. i didnt seem to ask to many questions, i thought i reead enough on it. might want to ask if you will retain the hearing you have left or the chances. the experience that they have had.im 43 and left side as well 1.5 by 1.5. good luck to you.

Betsy:
Hi Marie,

I've had quite a few consultations lately, but my list of questions is constantly changing.  One question I've learned to ask each doctor is "how do you define successful treatment?".  One doctor simply answered "removal of the tumor"!  That told me he had no concern for my hearing (which is still good), so I didn't see him again.  Gordy's right, you definitely want to know how experienced they are.  Another question I always ask is how would he or she expect my symptoms to change after treatment.  Oh, and if the doctor says something you don't understand, be sure to ask them what they mean.  If possible, have them draw you a picture.  If you ask, they'll also send you a copy of their evaluation.

It's a lot of information to absorb all at once, but after awhile it starts coming together.  Reading through the old posts on this forum is a huge help.  Best wishes to you with your appointment with Dr. Gibbs.

Betsy

Mark:
I think Betsy's suggested question is an excellent one and I also believe more folks should include it in their consults. Doctors definition's of success do certainly vary and it is important for a patient to understand that. Some of this is a reflection of their personal experience or what they were trained to define as "acceptable" results.

It would also be my personal view that many doctors try to manage patient expectations and this is probably more true with surgeons. Part of this may be laying the ground work to handle patient disappointment with less than hoped for results for legal protection or it may reflect their desire to assure the best care was given.

An answer "removal of the tumor is the goal" would be personally unacceptable to me as the quality of life after treatment is infinitely more important to all of us, than whether a doc can go to lunch with his colleagues and cellebrate that he got it all!   :P

Since Stanford is the facility in question in this situation, I can share that when I asked this exact question of Dr. Schuer who was the head of the department at the time, his answer was something along the lines of "we consider the level of success measured by the patient's satisfaction with the treatment outcome. Sentiments that were echoed by both Dr. Gibbs and Chang in my separate consults with them.

Mark

linnilue:

--- Quote from: brucifer on July 15, 2007, 08:06:23 pm ---Betsy and Mark...

I know what you both mean concerning figuring out how a surgeon measures successful treatment. For some, just removing the tumor or most of the tumor without losing the patient seems to be enough, never mind that the patient has post-treatment facial paralysis, dry eye, in need of an eye weight or spring, loss of hearing, speech problems, or nerve damage. The problem with the word "success" is that it is a term that is relative to one's own expectations. If your expectations align with your doctor's, then you and your doctor with be on the same page when it comes to determining what a successful outcome would be. However, quite often a patient's and a doctor's definition of success is quite different. Marie...good luck getting that question pinned down..   ;)

Bruce

--- End quote ---
I have to say, Bruce is absolutely right about the interpretation of the word "success."  It's an arbitrary answer to a patient's realistic expectation.  The questions that needs to be answered the most are what are the side effects and or complications that this particular docotor sees the most post-op whether it is radiosurgery or removal of the tumor by surgical technique.  Be very clear about these answers, they will help you to decide on the physician that you feel most comfortable with and the type of surgical technique you choose.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version