Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

cf leak/ meningitis

(1/3) > >>

claireb:
sorry forgot to ask the following - after how many days can a CF leak happen?  and is there need of another operation?  also i had read that some people can get meningitis after the op, did any one of you have this complication?
thanks
cliare

Denise:
Hi, my CSF leak occurred about six weeks after my surgery.  I developed NO complications from that surgery.
Hope this helps,
Denise

krbonner:
CSF leaks can happen (as I understand it) up to months after, though it's mostly within the first couple of weeks.  They do not always require additional surgery or shunts, but if they do it's usually pretty quick and simple.

Meningitis is a risk of any surgery that messes around in your spinal fluid.  It's a pretty rare complication, and easily treated with antibiotics if it does come up.  That's part of why the nurses are probably taking your mom's temperature all the time - to see if there's any infections setting in.

Katie

Yvette:
The most important thing to know, is that you do not want a CSF leak! Mind doctor's orders, don't strain, don't lift more than 10lbs, and even after your recovery time is supposedly finished, continue to be careful, moderate in exercise, listen to your body. I developed a "fluid pouch" while post op exercising, the week after the doc's said it was ok to return to my workout routine. So be on the conservative side of everything.
Best wishes, Yvette

eugd:
Yvette did that pocket ever resolve on its own or did you have any procedure?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version