Author Topic: Formaldahyde sensitivity  (Read 3836 times)

mema

Formaldahyde sensitivity
« on: June 24, 2007, 08:39:11 am »
After  my AN and my husbands illness, lifes too short so my hubby and I decided to buy a travel trailer and enjoy some of the country.  .Well their put together with formaldahyde.  When we walk into one it tears our eyes and burns our nose.  It tends top burn my throat also.  Dealers all say that will go away once air conditioner is on.  Formaldahyde produces its gas from heat and humidity.  I live in                   Florida!  So affects of sensitivity are also headaches, which I live with anyway.  Anyone have any experience or advise on this matter. We have put a deposit on one and are dueto pick it up Tuesday.  Easy answer don't get it.  But this is my husbands dream and we almost lost him a few times due to his condition. Hate to disappoint him if its something I'll get use too.                                               

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

marie

Re: Formaldahyde sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 03:01:22 pm »
   Would it work to consider one that is older and has already "out-gassed"?
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

mema

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 06:42:52 am »
Marie,                                                                                                                                                                                     

Because of my husbands truck, we can only pull a lightweight.  Finding a used one is almost impossible.  I did have a huge RV dealer manager call me back yesterday and his wife was very sensitive to formaldahyde in their trailer and she doesn't go into it until the air conditioner has been on for awhile.  She now has no problems.  That makes sense because what I'm reading on the formaldahyde web site states that heat and humidity cause the gas release.  Today I am going to call the formaldahyde lab in California and the manufacturer of the trailer.   Thanks for your response . Do you RV?                                                                                             

mema
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

marie

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 04:03:07 pm »
Mema,

No.    When my late husband and I were finally able to take a few vacations, we stayed in motel/hotels because neither of us liked to camp.
  Actually, I may reconsider having an RV after seeing the various new reports about nasty motel rooms and bedbugs returning to this country.
   Good luck figuring out the solution to your problem , and happy travels.
Marie
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

mema

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 03:53:46 pm »
Marie,                                                                                                                                                                                   

I called the formaldahyde, lead and aspestos lab testing.  They really were selective with their comments to my questions, but I did manage to learn that it is a gas formed by heat.  It will eventually dissapate.  So I then called the manufacturer of the RV.  Apparently I'm not the only one who has had this problem.  They seemed absolutely sure of their answer which was.  Because heat forms the gas the RV should be closed up during the day to promote the gas.  They said it was a benefit I lived in Florida.  If not I would have to put the heater on to get the RV hot.  Then at night open up the RV, run all the exhaust fans in it to get the gas out.  This process should take about a week.  The RV dealer has agreed to keep the RV on their lot and the salesman will close it up each morning and open it up at night, for the next two weeks.  Hopefully this works.  It seems logical.  If after this I still am affected, we will drive it to Pa. where our family has property and do the do the same process but at night  run a bunch of fans in it to circulate the gas out.  I'm praying and keeping my fingers crossed that it works.                                                                                                                 

mema
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.